Home » Audio » Speaker » Bone conduction headphones (gimmick?)
Bone conduction headphones [message #94250] Mon, 16 August 2021 14:09 Go to next message
Trilling Me Softly is currently offline  Trilling Me Softly
Baron
My daughter has her eye on some bone conduction headphones that she can use while swimming. If they're truly useful, then I don't mind getting them for her. However, I've noticed that they're rather pricey, and I don't want to throw money at a gimmick. What do you guys think about them? Are they as uncomfortable as they look?
Re: Bone conduction headphones [message #94260 is a reply to message #94250] Tue, 17 August 2021 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LCallan is currently offline  LCallan
Baron
I own some. I wouldn't call them a gimmick, but I don't necessarily believe that they're better than other styles. You should be able to find a decent pair for about the same price as iPods.
Re: Bone conduction headphones [message #94262 is a reply to message #94260] Tue, 17 August 2021 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
They aren't a scam. Has your daughter mentioned why she wants them? Bone conductive headphones for swimming sounds oddly specific. I'd be more likely to pony up the money if her swimming coach recommended she get some, rather than she saw them on an athlete during the Olympics that she's crazy about and wants the same pair.
Re: Bone conduction headphones [message #94268 is a reply to message #94262] Wed, 18 August 2021 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Madison, she seems to want them because it would make swimming and listening to podcasts easier. We have a pool, but we don't have any outdoor speakers yet. I guess bone conduction headphones aren't a gimmick after all. But are they as uncomfortable as they look?
Re: Bone conduction headphones [message #94270 is a reply to message #94268] Wed, 18 August 2021 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
After the initial seating in of the self tapping screws in the skull for conduction. You kinda get used to it. But don't crank it up too high, your eye's will start jiggling.
I'm of course yanking your leg. No idea. But just the name of it makes me speculate like that.
Re: Bone conduction headphones [message #94271 is a reply to message #94270] Wed, 18 August 2021 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LCallan is currently offline  LCallan
Baron
I think they'd be the most comfortable for men with short hair. I had some AfterShokz headpones, and the initial tingling situation does get better, but they kept pulling at my hair which caused breakage. I eventually gave them to a guy with a buzz cut.
Re: Bone conduction headphones [message #94277 is a reply to message #94271] Thu, 19 August 2021 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I know a few folks who love them, but I couldn't get over the tingling sensation. They also caused my teeth to ache, but I've got veneers, so that could be why. I think it's one of those that she'll just have to try to see whether it will work for her.
Re: Bone conduction headphones [message #94379 is a reply to message #94250] Sun, 05 September 2021 21:21 Go to previous message
Baron
You guys said they weren't a gimmick, so I got them for her. I got my daughter the AfterShokz Xtrainerz since they are approved for swimming. She's been using the headphones for about a week now and she raves about them. The headphones were worth every penny. I'm glad that I brought it up here instead of just telling her no.
Previous Topic: Wireless Speaker
Next Topic: Modern vs. Vintage Speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:47:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout