Home » Audio » General » automatic soldering robot
automatic soldering robot [message #94238] Sun, 15 August 2021 15:21 Go to next message
smartt is currently offline  smartt
Master
I see no hand soldering in the future. The machine will get better and better.
Re: automatic soldering robot [message #94242 is a reply to message #94238] Mon, 16 August 2021 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There are wave-soldering machines and other production-automation systems, and to be honest, that's not new technology. It has been around for years. When production exceeds a few thousand a month, component placement and soldering is completely automated. I can remember those technologies as far back as the 1970s.
Re: automatic soldering robot [message #94247 is a reply to message #94238] Mon, 16 August 2021 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartt is currently offline  smartt
Master
What about ultrasonic soldering and laser soldering?
Re: automatic soldering robot [message #94248 is a reply to message #94247] Mon, 16 August 2021 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Those are two other sources of heat, so they can be used instead of resistive or inductive heaters that use current to make heat.

My point was, simply, that using robotics for component placement and production line processes for both placement and soldering is really pretty old technology that has been in use for a while - over a half century, actually. So where it counts - large production runs - we've had good technologies for a long time. They get faster and more efficient, but the use of the assembly line approach, itself, is probably the biggest factor and we've been doing that for while.

Single-unit assembly and small runs is a different matter. Here, I suppose you could computerize and do something like a CNC machine or 3D printer to automate assembly - both for placement and for soldering - but I don't see as much benefit in that. One could perhaps make a case for it, but it would be just as easy to make a case against it too. It's not as obvious an advantage to automate single-unit production as it is to automate an assembly line.
Re: automatic soldering robot [message #94251 is a reply to message #94248] Mon, 16 August 2021 20:32 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Yes it has been around for a long time. I don't even use PCBs for less than 10 units.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: The Audio Round Table
Next Topic: Do dogs like music?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 16:13:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers