Home » Audio » Source » Digital Recorders Price Range and Quality
Digital Recorders Price Range and Quality [message #94207] Fri, 13 August 2021 10:56 Go to next message
Zart is currently offline  Zart
Baron
I thought of sticking with my phone to do some recording but reconsidered when I saw the lowest available price of digital recorders. There are already decent ones that are below $30, while others are at $400. I'm worried that sound quality would change depending on the price. Does recording quality vary with the price, or is it more about the features that make other recorders more expensive?
Re: Digital Recorders Price Range and Quality [message #94227 is a reply to message #94207] Sat, 14 August 2021 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I believe you will find that both are true. Features can be important particularly on the input side. Things like sample rates and types of files generated are IMO very important. A recorder that only does 44K at 16 bits and converts the output to MP3 files is IMO useless. I personally don't use anything below 96K/24bit with uncompressed output files. I generally use .wav files even though they are large. Other loss less outputs are fine as well. But with storage space so cheap now I like the long term compatibility of .wav. Just this week I saw a 2TB drive for $55. How can you go wrong at that cost?

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Digital Recorders Price Range and Quality [message #94396 is a reply to message #94227] Tue, 07 September 2021 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Acacia is currently offline  Acacia
Viscount
gofar99 wrote on Sat, 14 August 2021 21:15
But with storage space so cheap now I like the long term compatibility of .wav. Just this week I saw a 2TB drive for $55.
It's good to have a great storage capacity at a small price in the market. At least in that way, you can focus on buying a recorder with better features without worrying about storage and having the sound quality you want.
Re: Digital Recorders Price Range and Quality [message #94407 is a reply to message #94207] Fri, 10 September 2021 00:23 Go to previous message
Beck is currently offline  Beck
Viscount
If you're looking for a portable recorder, there are cheap ones below $50. Digital recorders are helpful to have around, but I also suggest you think about what you'll use them for and then decide how much you're willing to spend.
Previous Topic: Which wire is used in Linn T-Kable (tonearm cable for Linn Akito tonearm)?
Next Topic: The Intellectual People Podcast - Geshelli Labs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:48:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout