Home » Audio » General » Replace tubes in a tube power amp
Replace tubes in a tube power amp [message #94155] Sat, 07 August 2021 00:18 Go to next message
smartt is currently offline  smartt
Master
What does it cost to replace all the tubes in a power amp?
Re: Replace tubes in a tube power amp [message #94158 is a reply to message #94155] Sat, 07 August 2021 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Depends on the tubes and how many. If you have an amp with 300b tubes, it will cost hundreds of dollars to replace. Thousands even if you were nuts enough to want vintage NOS Western Electric tubes. I have two mono OTL amps with 16 output tubes for each amp. If I were to had used domestic suppliers for the Russian triodes to replace. It would have cost hundreds of dollars to replace. But a mother Russia source allowed me to get tubes to replace all twice over with spares for a little over a hundred bucks. Just look at some of the tube suppliers around the net to get a handle on cost for what ever amp you'd have interest in.
Re: Replace tubes in a tube power amp [message #94164 is a reply to message #94155] Sun, 08 August 2021 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartt is currently offline  smartt
Master
Western Electric 300B, matched pair $1499, single tube $699.
Re: Replace tubes in a tube power amp [message #94165 is a reply to message #94164] Sun, 08 August 2021 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, As a tube gear designer and lover I want to add a thought to your question. I find that with well designed gear there is no need to frequently replace the tubes. It seems that this is the product of pro audio (guitar etc) applications. Tubes in such gear are often run at or even above ratings. This does indeed shorten tube life. It is impossible to generalize all non-pro gear, but most I have encountered in the past 50+ years have rather a long life for their tubes. As an exception for consumer gear I would include older televisions as devices that run tubes hard. I get asked about this in regard to my designs all the time. I base the designs on a lifespan of 10 years for power tubes and essentially forever on drivers and preamps. I feel it is an essential feature that is of great benefit to users. So unless you are experiencing problems I would not replace any tubes.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Replace tubes in a tube power amp [message #94174 is a reply to message #94165] Mon, 09 August 2021 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
As an example of that. I've never had to replaced my 16 output tubes, 6c19pi, except one that was bad in my monoblocks. I wanted more than enough to last for as long as I was around. Didn't know if their availability longevity would be steady.
Re: Replace tubes in a tube power amp [message #94181 is a reply to message #94174] Mon, 09 August 2021 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Yes indeed, I figure the KT88s I used in my first large amp will outlast me as well. They are going on 12 years now and 1000's of hours and still just fine.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Replace tubes in a tube power amp [message #94182 is a reply to message #94155] Tue, 10 August 2021 00:06 Go to previous message
positron is currently offline  positron
Viscount
I order matched quad, KT-88 triode operated monoblocks total cost $200.00 plus 20 bucks for shipping.

cheers

pos
Previous Topic: Can you appreciate great sound?
Next Topic: Information Retainer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:40:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout