Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Current and upcoming projects?
Current and upcoming projects? [message #94088] Thu, 22 July 2021 08:13 Go to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
What are you currently working on; what are you planning for the future? Yesterday, a buddy and I finished putting together his electronic drum kit. That project was a more difficult feat than expected. Once my brother leaves, I'm probably going to work on the sound insulation on the wall between the two bedrooms in my condo for when I have guests in the future.
Re: Current and upcoming projects? [message #94093 is a reply to message #94088] Fri, 23 July 2021 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I fixed a lifted fret on a guitar recently. Now, I'm trying to balance out an old record player that was cheaply made and poorly designed. My 80-year-old uncle insists on using it, though, so I'm doing what I can. I'm shocked it's held up this long, honestly.
Re: Current and upcoming projects? [message #94108 is a reply to message #94093] Wed, 28 July 2021 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
I didn't know you played the guitar, Madison. My last guitar DIY involved restringing one for my nephew. I would like to create an acoustic guitar from scratch if I ever get around to it. Then again, my woodworking and luthier skills probably aren't up to par for a project like that. I get all jazzed about the possibilities, then talk myself out of it with a hard dose of reality.
Re: Current and upcoming projects? [message #94115 is a reply to message #94108] Wed, 28 July 2021 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I don't. It was offered for free, and I knew a teenager who could use it. The teen played a class guitar during lessons, but schools closed, so that meant learning from home with no guitar to share. Had it not been for the pandemic, someone with more skill and knowledge would've fixed the guitar. As it was, I applied the knowledge I gained from the University of YouTube tutorials. I can fix some things on the piano. I can handle basic repairs when it comes to most woodwinds. Those minor skills did not translate over to the guitar, let me tell ya. The most difficult thing was just holding the guitar without applying too much pressure while I worked on it. Luckily, the instructor thought it was playable and in tune, so it turned out okay. I'm sure the kid fixed my tune job.

I take it that the "strum" in your username represents that you're a guitarist?
Re: Current and upcoming projects? [message #94123 is a reply to message #94115] Thu, 29 July 2021 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi I just finished an all tube stereo amp (the Cranberry). A write up is pending on diyaudioprojects.com. It was printed in the May Audio Express in similar form. Right now I am working on my next phono preamp. The active stages are the same as before, but the power supply is quite different. The present one (including the pending commercial version) is really quiet.....being the fanatic I am I want quieter. I would like to cross the -90 dbv threshold with it. With "A" rating they are there now, but unweighted it is a bit less. As many folks know, I really hate hum and noise and if I can hear it or see it on a scope it has to go. Twisted Evil
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2796&private=0

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Current and upcoming projects? [message #94127 is a reply to message #94123] Fri, 30 July 2021 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow! Very nice!
Re: Current and upcoming projects? [message #94128 is a reply to message #94088] Fri, 30 July 2021 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
Nice looking amp. Looking forward to reading about it.
Re: Current and upcoming projects? [message #94195 is a reply to message #94128] Thu, 12 August 2021 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
That is gorgeous, gofar99! About how long did it take from start to finish? I'll have to check that out on the website when it appears. Do you know when that will be?
Re: Current and upcoming projects? [message #94198 is a reply to message #94195] Thu, 12 August 2021 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, It will be on the diyaudioprojects.com site as soon as Gio posts it. As a really experienced builder it did not take very long to build. I seem to recall about 2 weeks working on it on and off. Probably about 30-40 hours. Much of the time was in drilling and cutting the chassis and waiting for the paint to dry. Before that though in my normal way of doing things I had the parts laid out on the bench and fiddled with various layouts to find the best arrangement. I spend a lot of time in that process. It avoids last minute problems and complications.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Current and upcoming projects? [message #94202 is a reply to message #94198] Fri, 13 August 2021 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
smartt is currently offline  smartt
Master
gofar99,

You are too much. You just finished your new phono after only 8 years and 8 months. And now you are working on a newer phono! Go for it with your newer phono.
Previous Topic: Electronics For Dummies
Next Topic: The Intellectual People Podcast - Acry-Tech (DuraTex)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:56:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio