Home » Audio » Speaker » Coaxial speakers
Coaxial speakers [message #94080] Wed, 21 July 2021 22:40 Go to next message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
What are the real advantages/disadvantages of building a coaxial loaded speaker if any? I have listened to some big Tannoys with their 15" coax drivers, and I liked them. Quite honestly, my two way 3 PI speakers seem to be just as good, and a whole lot cheaper. (Thanks Wayne) Am I missing something here? I was considering building a pair just for educational purposes bases on Eminence drivers. Opinions please.

Steve
Re: Coaxial speakers [message #94089 is a reply to message #94080] Thu, 22 July 2021 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Coaxial speakers align the acoustic centers of the drivers in the vertical plane as well as the horizontal. That's their advantage. Their disadvantage is they compromise other aspects to make this happen.
Re: Coaxial speakers [message #94090 is a reply to message #94089] Thu, 22 July 2021 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
I'm guessing that there tends to be some high frequency reflections off the woofer cone. There would also be some loss of woofer cone area? Would woofer movement make for a "sloppy horn loading" my words, of the high frequency boundary? I guess I'm trying to talk myself out of my project. I don't see a good plus/minus ratio compared to a two way monitor with a well designed crossover.
Re: Coaxial speakers [message #94091 is a reply to message #94090] Thu, 22 July 2021 11:51 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I agree. The trade-offs make the cons outweigh the pros, in my opinion.
Previous Topic: Speakers In Robots
Next Topic: Voice Coil Magazine
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:11:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout