Home » Audio » Speaker » Modern vs. Vintage Speakers
Modern vs. Vintage Speakers [message #93983] Mon, 05 July 2021 21:45 Go to next message
Souldude is currently offline  Souldude
Viscount
Wouldn't you agree that modern speakers out best the vintage ones now? It's more convenient since modern speakers are usually smaller and can still produce louder sounds. However, vintage speakers can look more pleasing and are cheaper. Is it worth it to have vintage speakers at all?
Re: Modern vs. Vintage Speakers [message #93992 is a reply to message #93983] Wed, 07 July 2021 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
Souldude wrote on Mon, 05 July 2021 21:45
Is it worth it to have vintage speakers at all?
Sometimes they're made of better quality materials, but more often than not it's all about the nostalgia factor. I use a lot of old equipment because it either belonged to a loved one, or it reminds me of someone or of a happy time in my childhood. That's why I'm currently rocking out with some humongous floor speakers that were made by Zenith. They get pretty hot, and they look out of place, but since they were my late father's it makes me happy to use them.
Re: Modern vs. Vintage Speakers [message #93994 is a reply to message #93992] Thu, 08 July 2021 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Some of the old horn type speakers from JBL and Altec though are still highly coveted.
Re: Modern vs. Vintage Speakers [message #94003 is a reply to message #93994] Sun, 11 July 2021 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
Souldude, vintage speakers can be pricey. Especially when you consider sourcing individual components to keep them up and running.

I didn't realize that JBL had been around that long until you said that, Rusty. I only heard of them within the past couple of years when they put out those great headphones.
Re: Modern vs. Vintage Speakers [message #94013 is a reply to message #94003] Mon, 12 July 2021 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I don't think that such a generalization is valid. Many vintage speakers are well regarded and sought after. The number of new speakers that are excellent is somewhat limited as many now are designed for home theater and are not full range. One area of difference between vintage and new models is the power sensitivity. Vintage speakers tend to be much more efficient and will produce more sound per watt. I have several sets of both new and vintage (all high end ones) and prefer a set of the vintage ones for my main system. They are Altec Lansing "Magnificants". Huge for sure, but with a highly accurate and really nice sound. Very efficient and can be easily driven to absurd sound levels with modest tube amps. More modern ones I have need a lot more muscle to reach the some loudness. As is often true...it is your ears, budget, room size and spouse that will govern your choice.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Modern vs. Vintage Speakers [message #94066 is a reply to message #94013] Tue, 20 July 2021 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zart is currently offline  Zart
Baron
gofar99 wrote on Mon, 12 July 2021 22:03
Vintage speakers tend to be much more efficient and will produce more sound per watt.
I've seen some designs of vintage speakers, and at least for me, I think it's worth it getting one. Its aesthetic side mainly caught my attention, but I'm glad to learn that it also produces great sound quality.
Re: Modern vs. Vintage Speakers [message #94082 is a reply to message #94013] Thu, 22 July 2021 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Souldude is currently offline  Souldude
Viscount
I guess modern speakers gained popularity for their convenience. When it comes to it, vintage speakers might still stand out if it's about the sound quality. Aside from quality, you're right that I'll also have to consider the budget, especially since StrumDrum mentioned maintenance costs.

gofar99 wrote on Mon, 12 July 2021 22:03
As is often true...it is your ears, budget, room size and spouse that will govern your choice.
Re: Modern vs. Vintage Speakers [message #94454 is a reply to message #93983] Sun, 19 September 2021 07:46 Go to previous message
Phonetic Ear is currently offline  Phonetic Ear
Baron
Modern speakers sound high-tech to me, but vintage speakers feel more authentic. The latter may be more reliable because of the design and the components used. It all depends on which ones you'll be comparing.
Previous Topic: Bone conduction headphones
Next Topic: Gaming speakers and headphones
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:05:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout