Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Positioning to mask sound
Positioning to mask sound [message #93970] Wed, 30 June 2021 10:32 Go to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
I live in a condo; it's pretty easy to hear what's going on from room to room. I'm a single guy so I haven't cared about that until now. My brother is coming to stay with me for the month of July, so I'm looking to mask my loud music and guitar strumming while he's here. I don't have time to make permanent changes, but I have several loud fans and a white noise machine, so that's what I'm going with for now. My question is do I position these "noise makers" close to me, close to the door, or in the center of the room for the best masking effect?

Re: Positioning to mask sound [message #93971 is a reply to message #93970] Thu, 01 July 2021 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Put 'em as close to you as possible.
Re: Positioning to mask sound [message #93973 is a reply to message #93970] Thu, 01 July 2021 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
panduro is currently offline  panduro
Baron
Just my 2 cents....

Putting Them close to you or the Sound source Will prob make you want to turn up your Sound lvl's.

You Wont really achive much doing doing that in your room... better option is too put pink noise generator next to where he sleeps to drown out your music.. then he Can set level to whats "comfertable" for him...

Or even better option is that you two make and enjoy the noise together...

Best regards

Panduro
Re: Positioning to mask sound [message #93974 is a reply to message #93973] Fri, 02 July 2021 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, position the white noise sound sources closest to the person that doesn't want to hear the other noises. I assume that's you, so put the white noise next to you. If it's your brother that doesn't want to hear the other noises, then put 'em next to him.

Fans and things like that are really good at masking sounds during sleep. Just put 'em right next to you.
Re: Positioning to mask sound [message #93977 is a reply to message #93974] Fri, 02 July 2021 21:35 Go to previous message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
Thanks for your suggestions! He got here yesterday and I had everything ready. I'm the one making the noise, so I put both a fan and a white noise machine near the bed in the guest room and another set in the living room. My brother probably wouldn't have fussed about the noise, but I have a gig coming up so I've been doing a lot of practicing after work which just happens to be late at night. This new "noise maker" arrangement seems to be doing the trick or I'd have heard him up and about last night.

Previous Topic: Is it safe to position a Sub facing a room's side walls?
Next Topic: The Intellectual People Podcast - Ethan Winer (RealTraps)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:10:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio