Home » Audio » General » Firmware updates?
Firmware updates? [message #93847] Tue, 01 June 2021 21:03 Go to next message
LCallan is currently offline  LCallan
Baron
How do you feel about firmware updates? It seems like every AV product on the market today goes through a push of firmware updates. Do you typically install these or do you ignore the notifications? Does it depend on the thing to be updated? I typically have a rough go of it when updating my amp. I might let it go this time.
Re: Firmware updates? [message #93848 is a reply to message #93847] Tue, 01 June 2021 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, most firmware updates either improve some function or correct a problem with the existing firmware. I always install them.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Firmware updates? [message #93850 is a reply to message #93848] Wed, 02 June 2021 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've seen a huge change in manufacturing direction over the years.

Prior to around the year 2000, manufacturers of electronics rigorously tested their products before packaging them for delivery. They were very concerned that the products worked as intended. Not only did they want this for reasons of customer satisfaction - but even prior to that - they don't want to package and ship the product and have a bunch of stuff on the shelves that doesn't work right. That would involve warranty service or possibly even a product recall. Both are extremely expensive and could bankrupt a company. So testing was typically pretty exhaustive prior to Y2K.

During the 2000s, I saw a manufacturing trend of less thorough testing because of an expectation that firmware updates could be applied after delivery. Electronics manufacturers began to risk putting buggy stuff on the shelves in order to try and get product out to market. Some did it as a race to be first, others did it as a race to get revenues going. Some did it for both reasons. But the point is the manufacturers started taking short-cuts in testing and sometimes even in completing the initial firmware coding, all in the race to get products out.

The risk, of course, is that firmware of new devices on the shelves might be botched enough that it wouldn't take an update. Developers call this "bricking a device," with the inference being that the device was then made as worthless as a brick. So focus is on making sure the firmware update mechanism is solid. Another risk is to customers that purchase a device and then attempt to use it in an environment that is isolated from connectivity. A modern device may or may not perform well, and is probably lacking functionality if it doesn't do a firmware update right away, as soon as it is first used.
Re: Firmware updates? [message #93851 is a reply to message #93850] Wed, 02 June 2021 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Wayne, yes, plus more..... gear particularly stuff that connects to the web has another issue. The umpteen ways things connect and how they interact is endless. I suspect that the number of permutations are so huge that no one could guess all of them. So in order to field a product they figure out what to do about the ones they know of and wait for us as "beta" testers to let them know what they missed. Not a great plan, but it usually does work and most folks have gotten used to it. What I don't care for is when they fix one thing and screw up another. Microsoft is really great about that. Confused

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Firmware updates? [message #93852 is a reply to message #93851] Thu, 03 June 2021 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently online  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Maybe off subject but as everything is internet connected. Including infrastructure. Can critical pieces of infrastructure be hardened by keeping it out of the internet loop? Kind of a closed circuit within itself that can only be accessed by tenders of the system. Would that be just a matter of cost initially to implement?
Re: Firmware updates? [message #93853 is a reply to message #93852] Thu, 03 June 2021 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Actually, that's the best way to "harden" a system and to protect it from attack.

Get it off the net.
Re: Firmware updates? [message #93854 is a reply to message #93853] Thu, 03 June 2021 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently online  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Well lets hope that's part of the infrastructure legislation. Don't give them Ruskies or any other malcontents a chance to jack us up. Hijack that is.
Re: Firmware updates? [message #93856 is a reply to message #93854] Thu, 03 June 2021 19:38 Go to previous message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I used to because I thought it was super important to protect against cyberattacks. Now I'm more careful about what I update and what I don't. I've noticed a trend towards using updates as another way to advertise. It happened with my Sony smart TV. Sure, there might've been some useful improvements in there, but so was extra advertising that I didn't ask for. I always update my operating system and web browser, but I wait on the others until I can see what is about to be installed and how it will affect my device.
Previous Topic: Signal To Noise Ratio
Next Topic: The Educated Ear
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:03:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout