Home » Audio » Source » Inexpensive Phono Stage
Inexpensive Phono Stage [message #12944] Mon, 19 June 2006 22:21 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Well, I'm going to be aquiring the SL-5 in several weeks, and I'll need to get a linestage for the thing. I would prefer to keep it inexpensive (less than $100 for sure) and possibly DIY (I like to tinker ). I'll look at a Seduction or something tubey later when I get a table worthy of something good, but for now I need something to go with the SL-5. I've looked at the Hagerman Bugle which would run about $75 to get a board and populate it. It can run off of batteries or a PS that Hagerman has.

Manualblock - I saw where you mentioned you have a design for a DIY stage that would be very inexpensive and get me by with decent sound. I thought I'd move any suggestions to the vinyl forum so it might help someone else as well.

Any other suggestions?

Re: Inexpensive Phono Stage [message #12945 is a reply to message #12944] Tue, 20 June 2006 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Well I can say that this little op-amp based unit may surprise people. The only drawback I can see is you must change batteries every 8 or 10 hrs of play. Comparing it too the Seduction then the Seduction is a better unit soundwise; but this little battery unit will sound much better than anything integrated into a reciever and better than many of the cheaper units like NAD. I haven't tried the newer better op-amps but if they do what the manufacturers claim then that should up the ante quite a bit. The sound is very smooth and mellow but good detail. Thats the best I can do description wise.
If the Hag goes for 75$ then you nreed a power supply you are looking at what; about 125$? This can be assembled I would guess for maybe 80$.

Re: Inexpensive Phono Stage [message #12946 is a reply to message #12945] Tue, 20 June 2006 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Manualblock- I'd be interested in the design your using.

The Hag can be run with batteries only, or you can also make the PS and run it off that. Without the PS and just using batteries would be about $75-80 or so.

Re: Inexpensive Phono Stage [message #12947 is a reply to message #12946] Tue, 20 June 2006 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I still have a Seduction kit in the box, unopened. I had a pair of Paramours and a Foreplay too, had planned on making an all-Bottlehead system at one time. But I got rid of it all except the Seduction kit when I found the Stoetkit. One of these times, maybe I'll build the Seduction and put it in an attractive chassis.

Re: Inexpensive Phono Stage [message #12948 is a reply to message #12947] Tue, 20 June 2006 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I'm thinking if I like vinyl I'll end up getting a Seduction. Inexpensive really and supposedly very nice sounding and I can DIY a nice chassis. I've heard some vinyl on good rigs ($1000 +), but never on a "mid" grade setup, which is what many consider a Technics 1200 and is probably as far as I'm willing to go at this point. So something simple like Manualblock has or the Hagtech Bugle is probably right up my alley.

Re: Inexpensive Phono Stage [message #12949 is a reply to message #12948] Tue, 20 June 2006 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

With your skills at making attractive cabinets, I'd say the Seduction might be a pretty good bet. It doesn't cost much and sounds pretty good. But the thing that concerns me about sound quality of the Bottlehead kits is the noise they make. With high efficiency speakers, their kits make too much hum.

Re: Inexpensive Phono Stage [message #12950 is a reply to message #12949] Tue, 20 June 2006 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I've heard about the hum with the second generation kits, but have heard good reports about the third gen. kits regarding hum. Still, I'm not going to pull the trigger on something like that till I'm sure about using vinyl.

Re: Inexpensive Phono Stage [message #12951 is a reply to message #12950] Tue, 20 June 2006 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You could be right. What's different about them?

Re: Inexpensive Phono Stage [message #12952 is a reply to message #12951] Tue, 20 June 2006 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I think they changed the iron a little bit and added the option of the C4S board. Supposed to make it more betterer.

Heck, I just need to get the TT working first!

Re: Inexpensive Phono Stage [message #12953 is a reply to message #12952] Tue, 20 June 2006 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Well; I can speak to this thread because I have the Seduction with the C4s boards installed and the other upgrades. I have used that for about two years now. Truth is it is a very good sounding unit; I would say you need at least 600$ to better it. However that being said; I use a low-output MC and as such I need the step-up trans. Thats another 250$ on top of the Seduction.
So what I have now is a Luxman MC phono stage I got on Ebay. This particular unit is scarce so I grabbed it as soon as i saw it listed. It is rumoured to be designed by Tim D'pavaracini. I am happier with the sound of this unit even though it is SS. In fact Lux makes the nicest sounding SS around for my money and it is fairley priced. So the Seduction is idle.
If you want I can shoot a pic of the Op-amp unit. I had a friend do up a PC board for it so while the board is a homeade and a little rough it works well. If you have any questions you can always e-mail me.

Previous Topic: Yamaha Turntable History
Next Topic: Dual CS 503-1 running fast
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 14:09:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout