Home » Audio » Source » Inexpensive Phono Stage
Re: Heathkit WA-P2 [message #12981 is a reply to message #12977] Thu, 29 June 2006 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Another idea pops up in my head. The Dyna pas 3x in so-so shape goes for about 125$ I think on the bay. What; and I am speculating here; but what if someone were to completely refurbish just the phono section in one; at minimal cost. Using one of the many and varied designs for those pre-amps on the net; or even using a Dyna SCA 35; just the phono stage to save money. The PC boards for the phono stage are 35$ from Sheldon. Rebuild the PC and go out through the tape monitor. Save money on not re-doing the line stage; just doing minimal upgrades to the PS....Ahhh; maybe not.
But it is a thought. Eventually to complete the pre-amp which regardless of what people say is a very competent and pleasant sounding unit when properly tuned.
Total cost for the phono stage would come in under 150$ and would certainly hold it's value in the market. MHO; it sure beats the Bottlehead combo at three times the price or more.
Ohh; I still owe you the op-amp circuit. Can you E-Mail me?

sent [message #12982 is a reply to message #12981] Thu, 29 June 2006 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Email sent. shaneybob_at_sbcglobal_dot_com not my usual forum addy. Wasn't paying attn. Sorry to confuse.

FET phono stage [message #12983 is a reply to message #12982] Fri, 30 June 2006 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

A buddy of mine has a phono preamp design that may interest you. It is an FET based design, very low noise and high quality. I'll ask him to contact you, if you're interested.

Re: FET phono stage [message #12984 is a reply to message #12983] Fri, 30 June 2006 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Wayne, does he have a website or anything? Got the copy email you sent to Jerry.

Re: FET phono stage [message #12985 is a reply to message #12984] Fri, 30 June 2006 12:19 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

No, Jerry is a contractor I'm doing a project with for IBM. Apparently, he's into audio and used to be in it in a big way. So I'm suggesting to him that he become reaquainted. I talked with him just now at lunch, and probably will help him get boards etched and what not. I think he has some good things to offer, and he lives in Dallas so I've told him to get hooked up with the guys in the Texas audio clubs.

Previous Topic: Yamaha Turntable History
Next Topic: Dual CS 503-1 running fast
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 19:30:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout