Home » Audio » Speaker » Experience with sound cards?
Experience with sound cards? [message #93819] Wed, 26 May 2021 08:27 Go to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
I started gaming on a PC after the boys took over my PS5. My only real complaint is that the audio leaves much to be desired. I've made as many tweaks as I can, and I'm at the point where it might be worth upgrading to a better sound card. Would that make a noticeable difference? If I get one then I'm sure I can get it optimized myself, but since it doesn't look like a painless process, I want to make sure that it's worth it first.
Re: Experience with sound cards? [message #93820 is a reply to message #93819] Wed, 26 May 2021 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, you can upgrade your sound card. You'll probably find a larger performance gain by upgrading your speakers though.
Re: Experience with sound cards? [message #93823 is a reply to message #93820] Thu, 27 May 2021 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
I did it with my rig a couple of years ago. I don't remember it being tedious or anything like that. I've built computers before though, so maybe that's why. If you decide to go for it, and you run into problems then I can probably help you.

I take it that you're already using a good set of headphones? It seems like most of the popular games require it nowadays.
Re: Experience with sound cards? [message #93836 is a reply to message #93820] Sat, 29 May 2021 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Wayne Parham wrote on Wed, 26 May 2021 09:45

You'll probably find a larger performance gain by upgrading your speakers though.
You got any suggestions on those? My PS5 is hooked up with surround sound speakers. I'd love to do something like that if possible.

Strum Drum, I wear headphones when I need to use the mic. Otherwise, I game without them. I get hot when I keep them on for long periods.
Re: Experience with sound cards? [message #93863 is a reply to message #93836] Fri, 04 June 2021 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LCallan is currently offline  LCallan
Baron
I use Creative's T100 speakers. Although the bass doesn't blow me away, the audio is crisp and they're a good all-around set of speakers. I used to have a set of Razer's Nommo Chroma speakers, and the only reason I switched was due to their large size. I don't have any experience with upgrading the sound card though.
Re: Experience with sound cards? [message #93894 is a reply to message #93863] Sat, 12 June 2021 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
You sold me on the Nommo Chroma speakers, LCallan. The came in yesterday and I've already started using them. The audio quality is better overall from what I was experiencing with the old speakers. The bass is probably the most improved. There's no distortion at all. The speakers were easy enough to set up, but they certainly do take up room. I think I'm going to hold off on the sound card for now. This is good enough for now.
Re: Experience with sound cards? [message #93938 is a reply to message #93894] Thu, 17 June 2021 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LCallan is currently offline  LCallan
Baron
Jeez, no pressure there. Well, I hope they work out for you and provide you with a masterful gaming experience. I'm slightly jealous that you've nabbed a PS5. It's no wonder that your children took it over. If word gets around that you have the new PlayStation, you'll be the hit of the whole neighborhood - well, with the kids at least.
Re: Experience with sound cards? [message #93950 is a reply to message #93938] Fri, 18 June 2021 20:45 Go to previous message
Master
You had a good suggestion, LCallan. I'm already using them and the audio is more clear and crisp than it was before. It's made group play much more enjoyable on my end. The speakers are rather large, but since you warned me about that, I expected it. I bought some Bose branded computer speakers a few years ago, and I wasn't impressed. They were better than what the computer came with, but not enough to justify the price. Bose has probably improved those speakers since then, of course, but now I'm quicker to ask for recommendations instead of just relying on reviews.
Previous Topic: The Intellectual People Podcast - Todd Welti
Next Topic: Speakers for Classical Music
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:07:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout