Home » Audio » Movies & Music » The Loved One
The Loved One [message #93803] Sat, 22 May 2021 09:22 Go to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Has anyone ever seen the movie, The Loved One? A study in Black humor, satire, a lurid reflection on society and culture. From 1965. Shot in black & white and starring Robert Morse, Rod Steiger, Jonathan Winters, with Liberace, Sir John Gielgud and a host of others. They seemed to make some very good movies in that vein back then. Dr. Strangelove being the most famous maybe. But this little movie that skewered the funeral business is a great character study for the actors within it, particularly Rod Steiger. His character, Mr. Joyboy is as creepy as is ludicrous. Is he gay? A pervert, a psycho, weirdo. What the hell is he? Then there's his mother! She's obsessed with food and has the look to fit. Jonathan Winters plays two parts, one a funeral director and an equally sleazy twin brother involved in the business.
All the cast create a movie that shows the creativity that Hollywood could muster up back in the swinging 60's. A very interesting look at the curious and kooky American vignette.

Mr. Joyboy
http://www.tvcream.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/loved09.jpg

Mama
https://originalcinemaniac.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/FoodJoyBoy.jpg

Re: The Loved One [message #93805 is a reply to message #93803] Sat, 22 May 2021 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

How funny! I've gotta check that out!
Re: The Loved One [message #94352 is a reply to message #93803] Thu, 02 September 2021 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beck is currently offline  Beck
Viscount
The theme of the movie funeral business is intriguing, and it's far from the genres common today. I'm glad I saw this since I've been looking for movies that are old but gold. Nowadays, you're more likely to get influenced by algorithmic recommendations on Netflix.
Re: The Loved One [message #94353 is a reply to message #94352] Thu, 02 September 2021 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Well alrighty then. Hope you enjoyed it. If you liked that black humor and a touch of irony it conveys. If never seen, it's a must to watch Dr. Strangelove with George C. Scott, and Peter Sellers in three cameo characters in the movie. General Jack Ripper, (Sterling Haden), has gone a little funny in the head and orders in his wing of B52's to strike Soviet Russia. Colonel Kong, (Slim Pickens) is the only one to get through. What a ride he does at the end. A satirical masterpiece.
Re: The Loved One [message #94370 is a reply to message #94353] Sun, 05 September 2021 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
I've seen it, but it was ages ago. I don't remember liking it much. I enjoyed Evelyn Waugh's satirical novel that the movie is based on, so I thought the film would be a riot. It felt more like a misfire. Had I not read the book first, I probably would've enjoyed it too.
Re: The Loved One [message #94375 is a reply to message #94370] Sun, 05 September 2021 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I understand Leot. I've had similar experience from reading a book and then seeing the film adaptation. The Shining, one of the many Stephen King books put on film. Was a big disappointment for me when I saw the film. It seemed wooden and lackluster. Books give so much more detail and nuance than any cinematic experience can capture. So, now I'm interested in the book by Evelyn Waugh. Thanks.
Years later I re-watched The Shining. On the merits of the film alone. I really liked it.
Re: The Loved One [message #94377 is a reply to message #94375] Sun, 05 September 2021 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LCallan is currently offline  LCallan
Baron
Yes, I've seen it; it's a hoot! That was the first time that I'd seen Liberace on film. The movie is pretty camp, but it has a good message at its core and I dug the outrageous ending. I thought Mr. Joyboy was also into Aimee, but I could be wrong on that. It's been a while since I've seen it. I usually do like old films like that. They managed to convey a story without all the gore, vulgarity, and loud background noise that we're subjected to today.
Re: The Loved One [message #94389 is a reply to message #94377] Mon, 06 September 2021 07:03 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Near as I can tell LCallan. Most movies today depict fantasy superhero's having epic fights with super baddies or aliens. And or good guys vs gangs, with scenes of them beat'n the hell deservedly out of dozens of scuzzy tattoo'd baddies in bars and buses. With slo mo to highlight their creative use of objects and moves to vanquish the dirty dozens. Violence consumption for a violent society.
Previous Topic: Was the ECM 1984 recording of 'Tabula Rasa' by Arvo Pärt digitally remastered?
Next Topic: Hwayi: A Monster Boy
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:49:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout