Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Is it safe to position a Sub facing a room's side walls?
Re: Is it safe to position a Sub facing a room's side walls? [message #93727 is a reply to message #93726] Tue, 11 May 2021 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The eighteens appear to go lower from the spec sheet, so I'd use those for subs if I could.

If we were considering flanking subs, I might lean towards a midbass driver 'cause it's used higher. Actually, probably both of your options are clean high enough to be used as flanking subs. But I am under the impression that won't work for you anyway.

I am a big proponent of the flanking sub configuration. I tend to setup flanking subs as my initial option, if space or funds constrain the installation to few subs. Then if I can go further, I use one or two more distributed subs in a Welti or Geddes configuration, whichever works best in the room.

But I didn't consider that approach 'cause I assumed from your descriptions that you cannot setup subs as flanking subs due to space constraints. Similarly, I also assumed that you couldn't use Welti or Geddes sub layouts because of limited placement options. Which left the approach of "just use more," placed wherever you can. That works too, as long as the subs aren't close to one another, which defeats the purpose of spreading them around.
Re: Is it safe to position a Sub facing a room's side walls? [message #93733 is a reply to message #93727] Wed, 12 May 2021 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikehende is currently offline  mikehende
Chancellor
I will try to get a pair of the Subs should they ever become available in my area and will try placing one at the back wall and the other on the side wall in the middle of it. Will report back should I ever get those subs and will report back on the eaw placement issue, thanks.
Re: Is it safe to position a Sub facing a room's side walls? [message #93743 is a reply to message #93709] Wed, 12 May 2021 13:34 Go to previous message
mikehende is currently offline  mikehende
Chancellor
On further testing with using the full range EV's as subs. I realize if i keep the bass volume level high but at a certain level and not overdriven there is only one area in the room like 8' away from the speaker where I hear a vibration type nolse but nothing is actually vibrating.
There is a sidedoor at that location, the door is closed but it's along the line of that door from left wall to right wall that I hear the noise and that spot seems to be where the bass is the weakest. This was the same situation with the EAW's placed in it's normal spot at the back wall and facing forward.
Previous Topic: Sound-proofing advice?
Next Topic: Positioning to mask sound
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:52:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout