Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Your go-to "holder"
Your go-to "holder" [message #93686] Sun, 09 May 2021 16:10 Go to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I rely on clamps when I cannot lay the piece down to work on it. Sometimes that won't work though, so what do you use then? I've fixed the lifted fret while lying the guitar down, but I need to hold it in place somehow while stringing it. My husband will hold it still for me, but I wondered what you all use when you need an extra set of hands.
Re: Your go-to "holder" [message #94097 is a reply to message #93686] Sun, 25 July 2021 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
How about tape?
Re: Your go-to "holder" [message #94913 is a reply to message #93686] Tue, 14 December 2021 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Clamps, strings, or some type of heavy weight that doesn't get in the way. Typically, I have found that whenever c-clamps don't work I don't have everything positioned correctly. This happens when I'm in a hurry.
Re: Your go-to "holder" [message #94980 is a reply to message #93686] Mon, 20 December 2021 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miami is currently offline  Miami
Viscount
How about some hardcore magnets? Velcro some magnets facing down under the body, and others facing up on a table and let those hold it in place.
Re: Your go-to "holder" [message #95202 is a reply to message #93686] Sun, 06 February 2022 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yeah, those things come in all shapes and sizes for varying applications. Suction cups might work too, but again, heavy-duty and specifically made for what you're doing.
Re: Your go-to "holder" [message #95413 is a reply to message #93686] Mon, 21 March 2022 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
Those magnets would only be as good as the velcro holding them down, though.

If c-clamps don't do the trick, imagine in your mind what would and maybe use the c-clamps in unconventional ways to get the desired effect.
Re: Your go-to "holder" [message #95416 is a reply to message #95413] Mon, 21 March 2022 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
I don't know about guitar strings...but when working with wires or small components I use "blue tack". Even good for delicate work like holding the tiny nuts in place when mounting phono cartridges. Those 2.5mm guys are otherwise hard to get to stay in place while holding the cartridge and trying to get the bolt through the arm and cartridge.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Your go-to "holder" [message #95638 is a reply to message #93686] Fri, 20 May 2022 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
Thanks for the tips! I'll try that blue tack stuff next time. It looks promising. I'd happily use clamps, normally, but I was worried that it would wreck the body of the guitar.
Re: Your go-to "holder" [message #95917 is a reply to message #93686] Sat, 20 August 2022 09:20 Go to previous message
Porter is currently offline  Porter
Viscount
Madison, I know you've finished it already, but you can use a guitar support and a neck cradle if you ever need to work on one again. They also work with other instruments. You probably don't need anything special, though. A plain yoga mat can protect against slippage, and guitars can take a decent amount of manhandling. I used to play many moons ago, before the demands of kids and work took over.
Previous Topic: Beyond the grave
Next Topic: A Musical Heart
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 19:58:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout