Home » Audio » Source » Technics SL-5
Technics SL-5 [message #12927] Sun, 11 June 2006 12:23 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
My aunt bought one of these back in the day. She saw my Heresy's running with a vintage Kenwood amp and said if I wanted it I could have it to go with my "old" stuff. I know the SL-5 is regarded pretty lowly, but as I'm interested in getting into vinyl (and it's free ), would it be worth messing with till I can decide on a better table over the next year?

Re: Technics SL-5 [message #12928 is a reply to message #12927] Sun, 11 June 2006 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Absolutely; why not? Do you have a cartridge or is it P-Mount?
Either way allow me to suggest the Shure M92 ed. It's 29$ and after I glued the stylus to the body and attached a Van Alstine Longhorn on it it sounds like a great cart. I use it on a Technics also.

Re: Technics SL-5 [message #12929 is a reply to message #12928] Sun, 11 June 2006 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Well, I won't be able to pick it up till later next month. It's a linear tracker with a p-mount. It's been on a shelf in her basement for probably 10 years. I remember using it right after she got it back in the late 70's. I really don't think it was ever used a lot.

I'm sure the contact relays will need to be sprayed and the rails for the arm cleaned and lubed. Hopefully that is it. I'll have to check and see how to adjust the tracking force on these as well.

I'd like to get a decent 1200 or P3 or the like sometime next spring (hint-hint for any of you GPAF people who have a decent entry level table you may want to part with next year!) , but I'm not sure I'm up to dealing with fixing a used one since I have no experience with TT's at all.

Re: Technics SL-5 [message #12930 is a reply to message #12929] Sun, 11 June 2006 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I don't remmember if we spoke on this but if I repeat myself then just ignore it. Technics makes at least half-dozen tables that sound way beyond what they should. The SL 1600/1700/1800 series. The Bl 1/2, the SL 3300 and a few more. Any of which can be had for less than 120$. I have two; they both work flawlessly. They have the same bullet-proof motors and drive systems. The arms are fine for entry level and work well and there are parts for much of them if something were to go wrong. Thats why I like them so much myself. I listen to one daily on good records. And they hold their re-sale value for when you plan to upgrade.
Just a thought.

Re: Technics SL-5 [message #12931 is a reply to message #12930] Sun, 11 June 2006 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I believe you gave me a couple of places that sell refurbished tables to look at. I'm really just beginning to think seriously about getting a vinyl rig. I've heard a couple now and was impressed compared to some CD systems. These were of course more expensive tables, but to get into it I don't believe I should spend a lot of money until I get used to setting up a table, caring for albums, dealing with using vinyl in general. Sounds like I have a lot of options in the Technics line!

Re: Technics SL-5 [message #12932 is a reply to message #12931] Mon, 12 June 2006 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The late-70's Technics tables were very good, in my opinion. The SL-1200 is still around, one of the best deals for a table under a grand.

Looked at Technics on Ebay [message #12933 is a reply to message #12932] Mon, 12 June 2006 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
What a freakin' nightmare! Only 8 pages of every kind of damn TT they have. No way I could choose which one to bid on if I wanted to. Man, I hate Ebay most of the time anyway, but that's just crazy. I'm just gonna bide my time and maybe get someone I trust to sell their old TT to me . Or pay a little more and get a rebuilt from a reputable dealer after I try the SL-5.

Re: Looked at Technics on Ebay [message #12936 is a reply to message #12933] Wed, 14 June 2006 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Break it down.
The SL series is the best value for the dollar.
The SL 1600 is fully automatic/1700 is semi-automatic version and SL 1800 is the fully manual version. All have the same motor/suspension
The SL 3300 series is the other bargain. 3350/3360 they are the ones with the adjustable speed control. Good bearings and good motor. Same arm.
The SL 1900 is the best but very rare.
For the SL 1600 which is the same as the SL 1500 you should not pay more than 100/120$ Thats a good working condition model.
For the SL 3300 series I would say unless it has a good cartridge I would not exceed 90$.
There are other decent models but those are what I am familiar with.
I just bought my SL 1600 in Janurary for 118$ on e-bay with a new shure cartridge in it. It is in immaculate shape and sounds great.

Re: Looked at Technics on Ebay [message #12937 is a reply to message #12936] Wed, 14 June 2006 12:47 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Excellent post, John, thanks! Great information.

Previous Topic: New Type of Turntable; very High End
Next Topic: first turntable. help!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 17:08:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout