Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Amp Camp Amp
Re: Amp Camp Amp [message #93687 is a reply to message #93685] Sun, 09 May 2021 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm not technically proficient enough to say. But my ears and mind have said a really nice preamp, can bring out the best of an amplifier going through Pi speakers. Solid state or tubed. I use both. And they are equally graced with better sound using a really good preamp. Watts and what's feeding it? Great design. Really makes a difference to me. I use Transcendent Sound preamps and either Hafler or Transcendent Sound OTL tube amps.
Re: Amp Camp Amp [message #93688 is a reply to message #93687] Sun, 09 May 2021 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pjanda1 is currently offline  pjanda1
Esquire
Excess gain is a frequent problem with high efficiency speakers the dramatically shortens the list of possible preamps. But if you are going to drive SS subs other than from the speaker output (or especially a DSP for the sub(s), some of which have nasty low input impedance), you generally need not just something more than a passive pre, but something with some oomph. The First Watt B1 buffer is a great option for something that sounds great, has no gain, and will drive anything.

I really, really like looking at tubes. But I am very frustrated by how good the B1/F5 combo sounds. Not to mention being dead quiet and entirely trouble free for years (while my tube amps hum, burp, fart, and engage in various other shenanigans).

The B1 also leaves you confident you are comparing amps and speakers, as it isn't adding or detracting much of anything on its own.

I'm not a fan of the idea of a tube buffer, which generally means a cathode follower, but I've never played with one. I do like 12B4 preamps, which have moderate gain and can drive SS loads, especially with a constant current source on the plate. But see the above comment about noise and shenanigans, as 12B4s can be troublesome in that regard.

Paul
Re: Amp Camp Amp [message #93691 is a reply to message #93688] Mon, 10 May 2021 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You're so right about low-level amp noise and high-efficiency speakers. I can't tell you how many times I've been to an audio show and let someone swap in their favorite amp or some new amp on the scene and heard noticeable hum. The owners would be embarrassed saying it was quiet on their systems, and start looking for ground loops and what-not. But that wasn't it - It's just that their speakers weren't as efficient - so the hum wasn't as noticeable in their system. Their amp sounds great, maybe, but in between songs you can hear a little hum on efficient speakers.

An amplifier has to be dead quiet when used with high-efficiency speakers.
Re: Amp Camp Amp [message #93779 is a reply to message #93422] Mon, 17 May 2021 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jensen is currently offline  Jensen
Chancellor
Glad I could precipitate an interesting conversation.

I went with a pair of Hypex NC400 "kits". The face plates weren't to my liking (especially next to my super pretty 4pis. So I worked up some replacements in Wenge. Just like w/ my 4pis, didn't know what I was doing, struggled about but survived in the end. Couldn't be happier with how they look and sound.

With a 10Tb of hi res lossless plugged into a raspberry pi, out to a Topping D50s, I feel like I have a pretty hot, low buck set up. Again, couldn't be happier.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2778&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2779&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2777&private=0
  • Attachment: IMG_1086.jpg
    (Size: 750.46KB, Downloaded 460 times)
  • Attachment: IMG_1087.jpg
    (Size: 1.12MB, Downloaded 407 times)
  • Attachment: IMG_1088.jpg
    (Size: 883.11KB, Downloaded 462 times)
Re: Amp Camp Amp [message #93780 is a reply to message #93779] Mon, 17 May 2021 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That really looks great! https://audioroundtable.com/images/thumbs-up.gif
Re: Amp Camp Amp [message #93781 is a reply to message #93780] Mon, 17 May 2021 12:28 Go to previous message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Very minimalist modern look. And power out the yin yang. Bet your very pleased.
Previous Topic: four Pi and subs
Next Topic: YouTube Rega Review
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:45:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout