Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » JBL vs Eminence 15" bass drivers (To be used in 7Pi)
JBL vs Eminence 15" bass drivers [message #93329] Fri, 19 March 2021 01:09 Go to next message
The Oracle is currently offline  The Oracle
Esquire
Hello all.
There was a discussion comparing these that a search and a scan of the last 10 pages
didn't show.
Whilst the JBL2226 is noticeably better in the 4Pi, in a 7Pi, it's not used as
mid-range. Also a comment that the JBL needs 'work' to keep the suspension loose
enough.
Before I finish these, I'm trying to decide whether to spend at least $1000 in my
country fitting the Eminence and keeping the JBL's to possibly make some 4Pi's
in the future (then I don't have to mess with the completed cabinets and swap
drivers - anal I know)
Am I daft to even consider this?
Cheers
Re: JBL vs Eminence 15" bass drivers [message #93330 is a reply to message #93329] Fri, 19 March 2021 10:27 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's an excellent question, worthy of discussion. And you've described the reason why - the fact that the cornerhorns have a midhorn means the woofer isn't covering as much of the audio range.

So naturally, that means distortion reduction from the Faraday ring in the 2226 isn't as beneficial in the seven Pi cornerhorn as it is in the four Pi loudspeaker.

But it is still worthwhile, in my opinion. The Faraday ring in the 2226 works down to below 100Hz, and the woofer in the cornerhorn runs up to around 300Hz. The midhorn blends with the woofer from 100Hz to 300Hz, so they're both participating in the overall response.

So while I think the improved woofer offers more to the four Pi loudspeaker than it does to the seven Pi cornerhorn, it is still beneficial to both. Is it worth five hundred bucks? I'd definitely say "yes" in the four Pi but in the seven Pi, it's a "maybe" that leans towards yes.
Previous Topic: Crossover inductor for 2 Pi
Next Topic: 16 ohm JBL 2226J
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:46:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout