Home » Audio » Source » Noise during playback
Noise during playback [message #12903] Tue, 30 May 2006 14:58 Go to next message
Anonymous is currently offline  Anonymous
Baron
Hello, everyone!

I have the following problem while playing some of my vinyl records. The problem is with the records, not with the equipment.

The cleaning solution (read further to find out which one) did make a great improvement to some records, but not to the others. Some of my records are still as noisy as they were before. The noise consists of irregular hiss (especially noticeable with the sound of steel drums and, when singing, with consonants such as "s" and "z") and irregular rustle and crackle (that are sometimes as loud as the music itself). One things that I am sure about is that such intense noise cannot be created by microscopic scratches that every record has.

The records have no visible damage and have been cleaned with the AM Record Cleaner. I evenly applied six (6) buffs on each side (which is the amount recommended by the manufacturer), placed the record on a rotating platter and cleaned it with a cloth provided with the cleaning solution. I did so by toucing the record with two fingers through the cloth. I also use the "Static Off" brush from AM, to remove static from the records. The results are not so significant enough and I wonder why.

To my knowledge, the majority of such noise (even in the oldest records that have been played more than once every day for fifty years) is caused by dirt that firmly sits in the grooves and is very hard to remove, and by static which attracts micro-dust.

My theory is that my cleaning solution is not strong enough and/or my method is not effective enough to dissolve and remove ALL the dirt. Perhaps, this solution is for regular maintenance only. It is imported from Denmark and costs about $10 here in Canada.

Is my theory true?

I've read about those expensive record cleaning machines (such as the famous Nitty-Gritty) that could cost over $500 and wonder if they are really as helpful as they cost? Are there any examples along with detailed scientific explanations of how helpful these machines are?

I can easily approach somebody who has such a machine, ask them to clean one of my records and then see the results. I can even locate a professional record cleaning service, but I just don't know how helpful it is.

All opinions are welcome.

Thank you very much!

Re: Noise during playback [message #12904 is a reply to message #12903] Tue, 30 May 2006 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I'd run them under the tap set to warm/room temp. Then try cleaning them. After that there is no hope. You need to live with the hiss. Listen around it.

Re: Noise during playback [message #12905 is a reply to message #12904] Tue, 30 May 2006 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Well, the hiss is OK, but what about the rustle and crackle? And why do you think running them under the tap water should help?

Thanks.

Re: Noise during playback [message #12906 is a reply to message #12905] Tue, 30 May 2006 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Room temp water and a drop of dishwashing soap will drain a lot of the grime out of the grooves. Then air-dry and use the cleaning solution.

Re: Noise during playback [message #12908 is a reply to message #12903] Sun, 04 June 2006 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I bought a quart of RRL Super Vinyl Wash from Music Direct, a 1 HP Shop Vac from Wal-mart, a paint pad refill from Home Depot and a dead Sony turntable from Goodwill.
Total investment $54.
I've cleaned over 100 records, most with 2 applications and still have 3/4 of the RRL fluid left. Does a great job.
It appears from reading posts that those of us that grew up with vinyl (and Black and White TV) are far less bothered by surface noise than those that grew up with CD's.

Re: Noise during playback [message #12909 is a reply to message #12908] Sun, 04 June 2006 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Pretty good idea; can you explain the method; regarding how you hold the record steady under the pull of the vacuum? I always found it stuttered from the drag. Although I never tried a paint pad, that might be better.

Re: Noise during playback [message #12910 is a reply to message #12906] Sun, 04 June 2006 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Tried that without any results. I think that this is due to physical damage to records (remember, I bought them used and have no clue of how they were used before me).

As I am going Hi-Fi, I decided to order the same albums (plus many others) on new vinyl, which I will take great care of from the very start. I did plan so earlier and was buying used vinyl just for trying it. New vinyl has always been in my mind and now I am even more serious about it.

Re: Used records and DIY RCM [message #12912 is a reply to message #12910] Sun, 04 June 2006 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The few new records I've bought, mostly Classic have been full of pops. I get good quality used at record shows and occasionally, Goodwill. Some are still sealed. Generally the re-issues.
All clean up to relative quiet wiyh a very few exceptions.

You get a long crevice tool with the Shop Vac. Plug the opening at the end with caulk. Cut a narrow slot the length of the flat part of the tool. I used my table saw very precariously; a Dremel might be safer.

Cut 2 narrow strips of the paint pad refill and glue on either side of the slit. Work 3 or 4 drops of the RRL around on the record with a carbon fiber brush. The Audioquest clone from garage-a-records is perfect. You'll have to thoroughly wet the brush and then a few more drops gets the record wet enough. Vacuum 2 or 3 rotations and repeat. let dry 20 minutes.

Re: Used records and DIY RCM [message #12913 is a reply to message #12912] Mon, 05 June 2006 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Ahh; you build a wand sort of thing. Like the old VPI brush. Speaker Builder had a set-up like that in a construction article a while back.

Re: Used records and DIY RCM [message #12918 is a reply to message #12913] Wed, 07 June 2006 13:34 Go to previous message
charlieboy is currently offline  charlieboy
Chancellor
Just a thought. Are you sure the cartridge is setup properly.VTA being to high can cause aweful "S" sounds with voices and cymbals and such. Just a thought.

Previous Topic: New Turntable Advice
Next Topic: Remember this ugly Bugle phono stage from the swap meet?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 12:22:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio