Home » Audio » Source » Sourcing old records and tapes
Sourcing old records and tapes [message #93176] Sun, 21 February 2021 15:19 Go to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
What's your go-to resource for finding old records and tapes that are in good shape? I appreciate that some folks go to garage sales and such to find what they want, but those aren't common in my city. I just want to shop online. Is it eBay or bust?
Re: Sourcing old records and tapes [message #93178 is a reply to message #93176] Sun, 21 February 2021 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Discogs. https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?format=Vinyl
A reliable place that has worldwide sources. I've never had any problems with it. Their discography for artists is about the most complete on the internet.
Re: Sourcing old records and tapes [message #93228 is a reply to message #93178] Mon, 01 March 2021 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
Nice! I'm bookmarking that one. I'm surprised by the variety. However, it's not much different from eBay and Amazon since there are third-party sellers using their platform. Maybe it's more trustworthy. Amazon is okay, really, but eBay is a pain to deal with when it comes to scams and returns. Is this outfit more reliable? I admit that I do like that they rate the sleeve condition too. I still kind of miss old music stores.

Re: Sourcing old records and tapes [message #93234 is a reply to message #93176] Tue, 02 March 2021 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Concorde is currently offline  Concorde
Master
There is a record store in my town whose owner scours the classifieds, Craigs List, etc.....for good deals. He cleans them up and re-sells them.

That guy will buy just about any genre of music as long it's on vinyl. From Ukrainian Polka to Black Sabbath, you want it, he probably has it.
Re: Sourcing old records and tapes [message #93238 is a reply to message #93234] Tue, 02 March 2021 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
I often go to ZIA records. They have stores in a number of states. You can also fond some on Amazon.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Sourcing old records and tapes [message #93321 is a reply to message #93228] Sun, 14 March 2021 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Quote:

Strum Drum
Nice! I'm bookmarking that one. I'm surprised by the variety. However, it's not much different from eBay and Amazon since there are third-party sellers using their platform. Maybe it's more trustworthy.
It's more trustworthy by far. And what the seller asks is what you pay. Your not in competition with another bidder like ebay. I haven't used ebay since I'd discovered Discogs for my unobtanium used vinyl I can't find. I used to buy a lot from HPB, (Half Price Books). They're pretty good for what you can find anymore. Which is nothing like what Discogs has to offer.
Millions of Records, https://www.millionsofrecords.com/ is a great source for new and reasonably priced records also. Most of my reggae collection came from there. But they have a wide genre selection. Very, very reliable. They even gave me a refund for a defective record and said I didn't have to send back the bad one.
Re: Sourcing old records and tapes [message #93333 is a reply to message #93176] Sat, 20 March 2021 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Back in the day, there used to be book/record stores where I grew up. They were good places to hang out with friends and browse. They should start bringing those back. Online is a good option, but it shouldn't be the only one.
Re: Sourcing old records and tapes [message #93342 is a reply to message #93333] Sun, 21 March 2021 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm often shocked at what great albums I find at Goodwill shops. I think sometimes people get gifted vinyl - maybe after a relative has passed - and they take it to Goodwill thinking it's worthless. I've found a lot of really good quality albums at the Goodwill shop near to my house. I check there regularly.

Also, "Vintage Stock" has a good selection of new and used vinyl.
Re: Sourcing old records and tapes [message #93346 is a reply to message #93342] Mon, 22 March 2021 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
That's interesting. I'll give the Goodwill a try. Never interred my little old mind that they would even have such things. Now I'm curious.
Re: Sourcing old records and tapes [message #93347 is a reply to message #93346] Mon, 22 March 2021 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Let us know what you find there!

I've gotten a lot of great albums, many with improved sleeves. That told me the original owner cared about their vinyl, and when I played them, it showed - no pops and clicks. Not all came that way, of course, and some were in mediocre condition. But a surprisingly large number of records I've gotten from Goodwill were in excellent shape.

No fair comin' down from KC to raid my store here in NWA though. Laughing
Previous Topic: HD Vinyl
Next Topic: Which wire is used in Linn T-Kable (tonearm cable for Linn Akito tonearm)?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:30:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio