Home » Audio » Source » Sourcing old records and tapes
Re: Sourcing old records and tapes [message #93593 is a reply to message #93347] Thu, 22 April 2021 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
I'm surprised (and jealous) that so many of you guys still have music stores around. We lost our last music store in the area in the late 90s due to lack of business.

Believe it or not, Walmart still carries music tapes, or at least the one near me does. You might check out their selection, StrumDrum.
Re: Sourcing old records and tapes [message #93604 is a reply to message #93593] Sat, 24 April 2021 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Both Walmart and Target in our area carry new vinyl in a fairly good selection. Both new releases and some vintage ones.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Sourcing old records and tapes [message #93787 is a reply to message #93178] Wed, 19 May 2021 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
Rusty wrote on Sun, 21 February 2021 17:50
Discogs. https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?format=Vinyl
A reliable place that has worldwide sources. I've never had any problems with it. Their discography for artists is about the most complete on the internet.
This has turned out to be a great resource, especially for older stuff. I haven't tried converting my money and ordering from an overseas buyer, but that's because I haven't needed to. The prices seem slightly higher, but I really appreciate that the sellers rank the state of the record AND its cover. I've been pleased so far.

Gofar99, my local Walmart doesn't carry records as part of their loss prevention strategy. In other words, people kept stealing them. It boggles the mind.
Re: Sourcing old records and tapes [message #93792 is a reply to message #93787] Thu, 20 May 2021 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
How does one steal a LP? Confused Boggles the mind. It anoys me that ZIA Records has raised the cost of all used LPS to $3 minimum. It used to be a great place to go and get really nice ones for under a dollar. It seems all the ones I want now are about $6. Still less than the $20-30 at retail stores.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Sourcing old records and tapes [message #93806 is a reply to message #93792] Sat, 22 May 2021 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
gofar99 wrote on Thu, 20 May 2021 21:33
How does one steal a LP?
That's what I want to know! I asked, but the guy running the section that day didn't know and was just as baffled as I was. Although I'm aware that thieves will target anything of value, I always thought stolen records would come from personal collections and were taken from homes, garages, storage sheds, or something of that nature.
Re: Sourcing old records and tapes [message #93818 is a reply to message #93792] Wed, 26 May 2021 07:42 Go to previous message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
You'll likely have a better outcome if you stick with experienced vinyl sellers when you're bidding on eBay. That way you know, that they know, how to ship a record to the customer without it getting damaged.

gofar99 wrote on Thu, 20 May 2021 21:33
How does one steal a LP? Boggles the mind.
An inside job maybe? That's all that I can figure. Then again, this person supposedly manged to steal several records as a teen, so apparently it's possible to sneak them out. https://thevinylfactory.com/news/record-thief-finds-god-and-returns-stolen-vinyl-10-years-later/
Previous Topic: HD Vinyl
Next Topic: Which wire is used in Linn T-Kable (tonearm cable for Linn Akito tonearm)?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:02:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio