Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Legendary jazz composer Chick Corea
Legendary jazz composer Chick Corea [message #93132] Mon, 15 February 2021 17:40 Go to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
Armando Anthony "Chick" Corea passed away on the 9th. He had a rare form of cancer. We've lost so many amazing musicians, composers, songwriters, and producers these past two years. Who will you miss?
Re: Legendary jazz composer Chick Corea [message #93133 is a reply to message #93132] Mon, 15 February 2021 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Barry (Barryso on this forum) has been talking about him in an email thread for the past few days too. He will be sorely missed.
Re: Legendary jazz composer Chick Corea [message #93134 is a reply to message #93133] Mon, 15 February 2021 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Sorry for the confusion, but are you saying that Barryso passed away? He was a super nice dude who helped me when my Fire TV started running slow. I hope he is okay. Or did Barryso make a thread about Chick Corea and I missed it?
Re: Legendary jazz composer Chick Corea [message #93135 is a reply to message #93134] Tue, 16 February 2021 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
Hi,

No, to the best of my knowledge I'm still here. Chick Corea is the one who passed away. He was a superb pianist who managed to do great things in several different Jazz styles and had even recorded classical pieces. He wasn't content fitting into a particular mold.

Wayne was referring to an email thread, not part of this forum, that was discussing Mr. Corea. I'd been lucky enough to photograph Mr. Corea at the Newport Jazz Festival in 2006 and was relaying the story.

There are too many great musicians who have passed to be able to list them all, frankly. Even if you limited it to a particular instrument like bass or trumpet there would still be too many. We're just lucky to live in an age where these folks leave behind their recorded legacy.

They become immortal.
Re: Legendary jazz composer Chick Corea [message #93137 is a reply to message #93135] Tue, 16 February 2021 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Barryso, I'm glad that you're doing okay! I feel like Chick Corea's passing has fallen under the radar a bit and I hate that because he was such a talented musician. He should be remembered. His death and Eddie Van Halen's hit me hard.
Re: Legendary jazz composer Chick Corea [message #93138 is a reply to message #93137] Tue, 16 February 2021 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yikes! Just look at the rumor I accidentally started!
Re: Legendary jazz composer Chick Corea [message #93145 is a reply to message #93138] Tue, 16 February 2021 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Wayne Parham wrote on Tue, 16 February 2021 10:33

Yikes! Just look at the rumor I accidentally started!
It's my fault Wayne. My dad is sick, but it's not COVID-19 so that's good. He's staying with us and is cranky. He's unable to sleep so he's been keeping me up. He's also the reason I know Chick Corea's music as dad is a fan. I'm sleep-deprived and just misread your post. Sorry about that. Anyway, did you guys know that Chick Corea was a Scientologist? I was not aware of that. I wouldn't particularly think anything of it, but I saw an article that said it influenced his music.
Re: Legendary jazz composer Chick Corea [message #93146 is a reply to message #93145] Tue, 16 February 2021 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow, dude, sorry about the lack of sleep. I hate that! It's the worst thing for me, not having enough sleep.

Hope tonight you catch up on the Zzzzz's!
Re: Legendary jazz composer Chick Corea [message #93147 is a reply to message #93145] Tue, 16 February 2021 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
I hope your dad starts feeling better.

Rolling Stone had a nice tribute to Chick Corea written by Herbie Handcock. A very nice read.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/herbie-hancock-interview-chick-corea-1128481/
Re: Legendary jazz composer Chick Corea [message #93201 is a reply to message #93132] Tue, 23 February 2021 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
sammi40 is currently offline  sammi40
Viscount
Oh no, I didn't see this news until I read this. How very sad! Another amazing musician lost this year.
@Leo I'm sorry to hear your dad is sick. I hope he recovers quickly!
Previous Topic: Changing the Volume
Next Topic: Hillbilly Elegy
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:47:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout