Home » Audio » Speaker » Line array
Line array [message #93069] Fri, 05 February 2021 21:52 Go to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
I had mentioned a while back that I was working on a pair of line arrays.
I just wanted to post up that they have been completed and installed for a couple of weeks now.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2704&private=0

I have been playing with REW and I have them eq'd pretty well with a minidsp.
My impressions so far-

Pros-

They sound quite good to me, especially the mid range and high-end.
The sweet spot on the volume seems to hold a wide curve.
As line arrays are known for, when you move for an aft in the room, the volume barely changes.
Also very uniform sounding with standing up or sitting down, or moving across the room laterally.

Cons-

As far as midbass is concerned....it's gone (compared to my previous corner horns).
Punch and drama? Gone...
Jump factor? Dynamics? NOPE.

I did not expect a line of two inch woofers to punch like my 7pi's but man these have nothing...
there is this "hole" between the line arrays and the subwoofers that I cannot manage to fill no matter how much goofing around with the DSP, or how high I cross the subs...
I have only run frequency sweeps so far, and you cannot see this whole on the graphs, but you can certainly hear and feel it.
Next I would blame the room acoustics, but the room hasn't changed from my last set of speakers so why should the room be ruining the response now?
In fact, these arrays are even closer to the corner Apex (and the floor and ceiling) than the previous corner horns were.

I am already considering building midbass arrays to go up tightly next to these. I'll have to pull these out a bit.

Perhaps nice arrays to go from around 80 to 250 Hz To help fill in this lack of visceral/tactile mid bass punch???
Re: Line array [message #93072 is a reply to message #93069] Sat, 06 February 2021 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

They look really cool!
Re: Line array [message #93084 is a reply to message #93069] Sun, 07 February 2021 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Thanks!

They are fun and sound great (except for that upper bass black hole lol).
But I've got plenty more experimenting to do with eq (minidsp)...
Re: Line array [message #93097 is a reply to message #93084] Mon, 08 February 2021 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
That's a really nice looking line speaker. Don't think I've ever seen one in the corners like that but it really works. It really makes them blend into the room.
Re: Line array [message #93102 is a reply to message #93069] Mon, 08 February 2021 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Thanks Barry.
"really works" is relative in this sense lol. Aesthetically they do blend really well.
Acoustically, they don't blend so well with the subs yet...and I'm still left dry with the lack of upper bass/mid bass presence. They're a different animal after all.

I'm still goofing with the miniDSP-HD EQ. Trying to get as much outta them as possible.
If I fail I'm already considering building another pair of 100" tall arrays to go right up against them. 12 small 6.5" woofers per side, band passed from approx. 50-250Hz.
Its a good thing I like to build...I actually look for reasons lol.

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-DC160-8-6-1-2-Classic-Woofer-295-305
Re: Line array [message #93103 is a reply to message #93102] Mon, 08 February 2021 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
AudioFred is likely a person worth talking to. He's built more speakers than anyone I've ever met and a good number of them were line arrays.

He's on this board every now and again but you might be able to ping him with a personal message. He's a really nice dude and if he doesn't know the answer to your questions he'll likely point you in the right direction.
Re: Line array [message #93107 is a reply to message #93069] Tue, 09 February 2021 11:43 Go to previous message
Grand Master
Thanks Barry.
I've built quite few myself lol. I'm also discussing my experiences over on diy audio.
You can follow along if you'd like to waste time lol-

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/343777-peerless-tc9-corner-array-build-low-brow.html
Previous Topic: Futzing with vibration control
Next Topic: L pad
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:08:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout