Home » Audio » Source » thorens td160 tonearm problem
thorens td160 tonearm problem [message #12890] Sun, 14 May 2006 02:20 Go to next message
kpl is currently offline  kpl
Esquire
Cleaned and oiled my TD160 turntable arm but anti bias adjuster no longer effective. Arm seems to be over biased even with the adjuster completely turned down(using the tracking ability test on record, the sound is like when the bias value has been set too high with the distortion in the left channel). Would appreciate any advice, suggestions, etc.

Re: thorens td160 tonearm problem [message #12893 is a reply to message #12890] Fri, 19 May 2006 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Looks like some arms for that table were better than others. Check out this article for more information:

Re: thorens td160 tonearm problem [message #12899 is a reply to message #12893] Tue, 23 May 2006 03:30 Go to previous message
kpl is currently offline  kpl
Esquire
Thanks,Wayne, for observation and reference to the article. My arm was probably, partly, responsible for the mediocre sound all along. Yet, it managed to produce a purer tone on the tracking ability test track before I cleaned the 3 bearings. Think I upset some adjustment while assembling the arm. Tried various degrees of tightness/looseness in the bearings which resulted in some changes in the left side distortion but wasn't able to get rid of it. The right side is so clean. Am suspecting it to be something related to the anti-bias mechanism which I'm told, involves some magnetic feature. Don't see how I could have caused it to go awry. Thanks again.

Previous Topic: my hitachi ht 6 turntable
Next Topic: Collaro rc456
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 14:00:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout