Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Best Instrument for Kids
Best Instrument for Kids [message #92927] Sat, 09 January 2021 16:55 Go to next message
MRikki is currently offline  MRikki
Baron
My niece (age seven) is really wanting to learn an instrument. My sister lives in an apartment building and is worried about bothering neighbors, as they have neighbors both above and below them. But, she also wants to encourage her daughter's budding musical interest. What instruments should I steer my sister towards?
Re: Best Instrument for Kids [message #92932 is a reply to message #92927] Mon, 11 January 2021 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
A keyboard. I play a few instruments myself and I teach lessons to children. I think the keyboard is the easiest instrument to learn over webcam or through video tutorials. Something like that might be important to your sister since we're still in the middle of a pandemic. Plus, you can turn the volume up or down on a keyboard and you can even use headphones so no sound leaks out to the neighbors.
Re: Best Instrument for Kids [message #92937 is a reply to message #92932] Tue, 12 January 2021 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KalebTheAudioGuy is currently offline  KalebTheAudioGuy
Baron
What about an acoustic guitar? It was my first instrument and my family was in a similar living situation as your niece. There are lots of videos on YouTube that can help her get started playing! Smile
Re: Best Instrument for Kids [message #92940 is a reply to message #92937] Wed, 13 January 2021 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
I think it's best just to let your niece pick. Most instruments can be played softly. It's a matter of controlling the technique. If the neighbors are fussy she could dampen the noise with mutes or pads. If percussion is her thing, then steer her towards one of the quieter kits. You can get low-volume cymbals and drum pads to help minimize the volume. Or just replace the heads with mesh heads. There are also different techniques for holding the drumsticks that affect the volume, or she could use brushes instead.
Re: Best Instrument for Kids [message #93007 is a reply to message #92940] Sat, 23 January 2021 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
penguin89 is currently offline  penguin89
Baron
Strum Drum wrote on Wed, 13 January 2021 13:33
I think it's best just to let your niece pick. Most instruments can be played softly. It's a matter of controlling the technique. If the neighbors are fussy she could dampen the noise with mutes or pads. If percussion is her thing, then steer her towards one of the quieter kits. You can get low-volume cymbals and drum pads to help minimize the volume. Or just replace the heads with mesh heads. There are also different techniques for holding the drumsticks that affect the volume, or she could use brushes instead.
I think that letting her pick her own instrument is a good way to keep her interested in playing. When I was younger, my parents decided I would learn to play the piano. What I really wanted was to learn to play the violin. I lost interest in the piano pretty quickly. As Strum Drum said, there are ways to dampen the sound of her playing. I hope she has fun learning to play!
Re: Best Instrument for Kids [message #93012 is a reply to message #93007] Sun, 24 January 2021 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I agree with the let them pick the instrument. I was forced to do piano as a kid and forever resented it. I cringe even now when I see one. One of my daughters did go for music (the other is a rocket scientist ...literally). She picked, flute, piccolo and acoustic guitar. The guitar didn't go very far, but she was seated first flute in the band for several years.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Best Instrument for Kids [message #93034 is a reply to message #93012] Sat, 30 January 2021 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
I think that once a large investment has been made in an instrument like a piano, the attitude is that every child in the family must learn how to play it. Pianos are costly, they're a pain to move, they require tuning, and they take up a lot of floor space. So for many parents, it's all about making the investment worth it. It's a shame too. I know so many people who hated their weekly piano lessons.

@gofar99, would you have been more enthusiastic if the music was different or was there just no interest in the instrument itself?
Re: Best Instrument for Kids [message #93036 is a reply to message #93034] Sun, 31 January 2021 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I would of been glad to had any instrument training when young. Folks had a tight budget with 5 kids. A large traditional piano would be too expensive and impractical for most young parents. But someone mentioned an electronic keyboard that headphones can be used even. Sounds ideal to me.
Re: Best Instrument for Kids [message #93199 is a reply to message #92927] Tue, 23 February 2021 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Acacia is currently offline  Acacia
Viscount
The guitar is a classic choice and it wouldn't bother the neighbors as long as it's not connected to a speaker. There's also the flute and violin which are leaned on producing soothing sounds. On the other hand, you can first ask your niece her preferred instrument and judge if it's too much.
Re: Best Instrument for Kids [message #93275 is a reply to message #92927] Tue, 09 March 2021 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
sammi40 is currently offline  sammi40
Viscount
Wow, I pity the neighbors! Seriously though, what does the child show interest in? My daughter played the flute, she was horrible! I think piano lessons outside the home would be a great place to start!
Previous Topic: Starting a podcast
Next Topic: Audio Engineering Degrees
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:28:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout