Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Best Book to Film Adaption
Best Book to Film Adaption [message #92801] Fri, 18 December 2020 08:18 Go to next message
MRikki is currently offline  MRikki
Baron
Sometimes, when adapting a book to a movie, they get it very right. Other times... not so much (Artemis Fowl, I'm looking at you).

In your opinion, what is the best book to movie adaption ever? My vote is for The Lord of the Rings, specifically the director's cut version of the movies. They are long, but such a good representation of the books I love so much.
Re: Best Book to Film Adaption [message #92804 is a reply to message #92801] Fri, 18 December 2020 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I don't know what my absolute favorite is, for there are too many. I have always though admired the 1956 adaptation of the Herman Melville book Moby Dick. Gregory Peck brilliantly playing the totally obsessed Capt. Ahab that was scarred physically and mentally apparently by once tangling with the great white whale of titled name. Richard Basehart plays Ishmael who narrates and solely survives Ahab's quest to take on the great beast in a grudge match to the end. His and the crew of the Pequod.
I wouldn't begin to try and watch the remake by Ron Howard, (Opie), in 2015. I don't know if it's ego or trying to put a different take on a masterpiece. But they rarely work out. Reviews of it bears that out.
Re: Best Book to Film Adaption [message #92817 is a reply to message #92804] Sun, 20 December 2020 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PinkHair is currently offline  PinkHair
Chancellor
I liked the 1977 animated version of The Hobbit and watched it a lot as a kid. It's quirky and weird (and it has some bizarre musical numbers), but it just has such a unique flavor that I still enjoy it as an adult. But perhaps that's just nostalgia.
Re: Best Book to Film Adaption [message #92831 is a reply to message #92817] Sun, 20 December 2020 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
Gone with the Wind and The Wizard of Oz get my vote. Those are the only two movies that I enjoyed more than the books. A close second is Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

I could never make it through The Lord of the Rings. The camera movements were too jarring. It made me ill.
Re: Best Book to Film Adaption [message #92842 is a reply to message #92801] Wed, 23 December 2020 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Raymond is currently offline  Raymond
Baron
I really loved the adaptation of The Shining. I like the idea of movies not necessarily following the book exactly, but becoming their own unique story.
Re: Best Book to Film Adaption [message #92911 is a reply to message #92801] Tue, 05 January 2021 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RunsWithScissors is currently offline  RunsWithScissors
Chancellor
I think that Marvel has done a great job of adapting comic books to film. A look at how many people they've drawn into being fans of the superhero genre speaks for itself. I know it's not a traditional book to movie adaption, but I wanted to bring it up! Smile
Re: Best Book to Film Adaption [message #92924 is a reply to message #92801] Thu, 07 January 2021 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MRikki is currently offline  MRikki
Baron
That's an interesting point about Marvel movies! I hadn't really thought about them being a book adaption per se, but it makes sense! I think that the best adaptions get people interested in the source material. If the renewed interest in superheroes is any indication, than Marvel movies have done their job Very Happy
Re: Best Book to Film Adaption [message #92978 is a reply to message #92924] Tue, 19 January 2021 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RunsWithScissors is currently offline  RunsWithScissors
Chancellor
MRikki wrote on Thu, 07 January 2021 22:18
That's an interesting point about Marvel movies! I hadn't really thought about them being a book adaption per se, but it makes sense! I think that the best adaptions get people interested in the source material. If the renewed interest in superheroes is any indication, than Marvel movies have done their job Very Happy
I think that the moment we're in culturally regarding superhero and comic book movies is really interesting! Surprised I started reading comic books when I was a kid and it wasn't a popular thing to do. But now, lots of people have developed an interest in superheroes because of the success of Marvel. It's been awesome to see how many people have found a new hobby, all because of comic book adaptations!
Re: Best Book to Film Adaption [message #94296 is a reply to message #92801] Sat, 21 August 2021 19:12 Go to previous message
Besalynus is currently offline  Besalynus
Esquire
Oh yeah! You are damn right! This is really almost the best book that humanity has ever created! I just love John Ronald Ruel Tolkien! Each of his books has such a detailed world that I literally immerse myself in it entirely! Lol) For me, his work is even better than the Harry Potter universe! But films are not inferior to books at all! The directors did a great job! I'm ready to watch it over and over again! And how cool, after watching a movie based on John Tolkien's book, go to various forums to discuss them! Recently found a forum dedicated only to the work of John Tolkien! Imao! I spend here at least 5 hours a day! For the same fans of Tolkien's work as I, can give a link to that forum: thetolkienforum.com.
Previous Topic: Country music that isn't!
Next Topic: Ready or Not
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:59:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout