Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » which PI speaker to build
which PI speaker to build [message #92756] Sun, 13 December 2020 14:07 Go to next message
pittiplatsch is currently offline  pittiplatsch
Esquire
Hello @all,

I plan to build a PI speaker to be used in a rather large and open living room (no corner placement). As this is my first DIY speaker project I would like to stay a bit on the budget constraint side for the first try (if possible). Somehow I settled for the 4 PI, but I would go for another model as well. That's basically my first question: is the 4 PI a good choice for my plans (listening condition in a large room and budget beginner project?) or are there better options.
Are there any upgrades I shall consider right from the start or is this something I could always do later on (e.g. upgrade drivers). Can the 4 PI also be build as a floor standing speaker to get a bit more bass extension?

you see - lots of beginner questions and thanks for your help.
Re: which PI speaker to build [message #92761 is a reply to message #92756] Sun, 13 December 2020 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The four Pi speaker is an excellent model for your needs. It's very popular and has a lot of options, so you can choose whatever fits your needs. Lots of people have built 'em on here too, so you'll have an abundance of support.

I would also encourage using flanking subs, but those can be built later. So you can upgrade parts within the speaker as time and funds permit, and you can also add-on subs later for a whole 'nother dimension in sound.
Re: which PI speaker to build [message #92765 is a reply to message #92761] Mon, 14 December 2020 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks for the fast help Wayne, that sounds good.

I would like to have them as stand-alone speakers for now and maybe add the subs later.
My plan would be to build them as floor standing speakers to not need any speaker stands. To do so I would probably just extend the cabinets. Question is whether the additional volume can be used to achieve a few Hz more low end or whether I shall rather keep the available speaker volume the same and really just extend the cabinet. 50 Hz -3dB in room are good if it can be achieved but 30..40Hz would be perfect for me for just music listening usage.

In regards to the upgrades: I struggle with the JBL driver upgrade for now due to it's price. For the price wise smaller upgrades I consider the compression driver upgrade. Are any of the other upgrades recommended right from the start?
Re: which PI speaker to build [message #92766 is a reply to message #92765] Mon, 14 December 2020 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Please read the following links from the Pi Speakers FAQ:
Re: which PI speaker to build [message #92768 is a reply to message #92766] Mon, 14 December 2020 16:46 Go to previous message
Esquire
Thanks, that clarifies what I will do: I won't mess with the design at all, will extend the cabinet while keeping the actually used volume identical.
Previous Topic: 2Pi Speakers
Next Topic: Loft Dance Soundsystem Suggestions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:22:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout