Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Best frontmen of all time?
Best frontmen of all time? [message #92671] Wed, 25 November 2020 17:14 Go to next message
Lost the Remote is currently offline  Lost the Remote
Master
I have to give it to Freddie Mercury of Queen because he exuded so much charisma, and was such a showman that you couldn't help but watch him. Scott Weiland of the Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver was also phenomenal. He could slither across the stage like no other and had a stage presence that commanded attention. Who would you say is the best frontman or frontwoman of all time? Do any current bands fit the bill?
Re: Best frontmen of all time? [message #92676 is a reply to message #92671] Fri, 27 November 2020 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Back in my clubbin' days I'd look forward to seeing a band that made the circuit in my parts a couple times a year. Little Charlie & The Nightcats, a jump blues band. The front man Rick Estrin, (we'd call him Rick Estrogen). Anyway, he had a stage persona that seemed straight out of old Tex Avery cartoons wolf character.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/52/54/bf/5254bfbc8dc6ffd4287b4e944d5a8ed3.jpg

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0257/3165/products/RSE84535.jpeg?v=1497115092

Cool cat and a good harmonica player. Charlie Baty the guitarist was deadly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W_eel0BXpg
Re: Best frontmen of all time? [message #92682 is a reply to message #92676] Sat, 28 November 2020 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
He was an excellent harmonica player too. Sadly, I think Baty passed away a few months ago.

Jim Morrison gets my vote. As for modern guys, well I can't think of any. I think Imagine Dragons is an excellent band with genuine talent, but the lead singer doesn't stand out more than anyone else. I often watch their bassist, Ben McKee, instead because he really gets into it. Axl Rose was no more noticeable than Slash. The Nickelback guys all kind of blend together.
Re: Best frontmen of all time? [message #92696 is a reply to message #92682] Mon, 30 November 2020 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I think Paramore's lead singer, Hayley Williams, is the best modern frontwoman. Tastes change and the makings of a great frontman or frontwoman isn't the same thing we fawned over years ago.
Leot55 wrote on Sat, 28 November 2020 16:32
I often watch their bassist, Ben McKee, instead because he really gets into it.
I seek him out too because he makes the funniest faces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r0bx7R8UIg
Re: Best frontmen of all time? [message #92794 is a reply to message #92671] Thu, 17 December 2020 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KalebTheAudioGuy is currently offline  KalebTheAudioGuy
Baron
I think what makes a good frontman/frontwoman is different depending on genre. Someone fronting a folk band has to put out a different kind of energy than someone who leads a death metal band.

But, overall, does the frontman/frontwoman have charisma? Do they seem relatable to the audience as a person? Do they hold the group together? I think these elements all go into making a good frontman/frontwoman.
Re: Best frontmen of all time? [message #92800 is a reply to message #92794] Fri, 18 December 2020 08:06 Go to previous message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
My personal vote for all time most historically significant and dynamic frontman would be James Brown, hands down. Saw him once as an older performer but still able to swivel those feet of his to a blur. And, charisma? Off the charts. Get down. Uuuuuuuhhh!
Previous Topic: Drive in concerts
Next Topic: Netflix movies
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:40:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout