Home » Audio » Source » Oiling Turntable Bearings
Oiling Turntable Bearings [message #92642] Thu, 19 November 2020 18:15 Go to next message
Concorde is currently offline  Concorde
Master
If you buy a used turntable and want to oil the bearings "just in case", is automotive oil suitable? I'm thinking 0 or 5 weight. Nothing too heavy.
Re: Oiling Turntable Bearings [message #92644 is a reply to message #92642] Fri, 20 November 2020 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
No don't use motor oil. That's made for a totally different harsh environment. Use a lightweight oil like 3in1 oil, or do a simple search for turntable oil. It's amusing the amount of conjecture that arises on forums concerning this subject. On and on they go with this, that and the other. For something revolving around at the breakneck speed of 33 1/3 rpm per minute. Some may think they can hear the difference between various oils. Right?
Re: Oiling Turntable Bearings [message #92657 is a reply to message #92642] Sun, 22 November 2020 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
Some people have been known to use the same oil that is used in sewing machines. They probably did this just because it was there in the house anyway, saw "3 in 1" and figured it would do.
Re: Oiling Turntable Bearings [message #92662 is a reply to message #92657] Sun, 22 November 2020 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, The best thing to do is check out a sister site of sorts (vinylengine.com) and sign up so you can look at the manuals for various turntables. Some require specialized lubes. The wrong kind can be worse than none at all. What turntable do you have?

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Oiling Turntable Bearings [message #92668 is a reply to message #92662] Wed, 25 November 2020 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Concorde is currently offline  Concorde
Master
I'm looking at a Technics 1210 right now. Used. The seller looks legit and this, as I'm sure you know, is well regarded.

3 in 1 should do what I pay it do from what I've heard.
Re: Oiling Turntable Bearings [message #92670 is a reply to message #92668] Wed, 25 November 2020 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Quote:
Concorde
I'm looking at a Technics 1210 right now. Used. The seller looks legit and this, as I'm sure you know, is well regarded.

3 in 1 should do what I pay it do from what I've heard.
They are great tables. I've used an MK5 for many years now. Never a lick of trouble with it. Very easy to use and set up. And, never ever any speed variation that use to plague me with another turntable brand. You might want to check out KAB for your oil. They have the factory equivalent type of oil for all the 1200 series. It's a small vial, but it would last your natural with the small amount needed to keep it lubed.
https://www.kabusa.com/m1200.htm#oil
Also, KAB has some nice add on upgrades for the 1200's. The one I find the best investment in is the tonearm damper.
https://www.kabusa.com/m1200.htm#td1200
Good luck, hope you get lucky getting it.
Re: Oiling Turntable Bearings [message #92678 is a reply to message #92670] Fri, 27 November 2020 21:26 Go to previous message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
How often do you guys actually do it though? I never have. I just never think to do it. I know you're not supposed to use WD-40 though.
Previous Topic: Bent records
Next Topic: Clear Vinyl
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:33:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout