Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi 3 questions
Pi 3 questions [message #92631] Tue, 17 November 2020 18:34 Go to next message
Speqtre
Chancellor
Hi Wayne,

I was part of the group buy in 2013 of the AE TDS12 woofers. As you know, life doesn't always follow the path we choose, so I've never built my pi 3s as I had hoped to.

I now find myself with the time and means, but I'm worried that my TDS12 units might be from the group that didn't test so well. I'm very concerned that I'm going to put all this effort in to building these to find a poor performer. I'm also a bit concerned that these guys have sat in their boxes for 7 years with no exercise and might be somehow diminished. Any thoughts or ideas you may have on this would be much obliged.

Assuming I go ahead with the build, can you still supply the prebuilt crossover for the pi3 with the TD12S? Is there a plan for a flat pack for the pi3?

Finally, has the pi3 plan changed at all from 2013? I still have your email and the plan, just wasn't sure if you had updated it all.

Thanks again for your amazing work on the pi speakers and your helpfulness in these forums. Here's hoping I start my build thread on here soon!

Re: Pi 3 questions [message #92632 is a reply to message #92631] Tue, 17 November 2020 20:48 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The three Pi loudspeaker has been updated since 2013, but the updates have been to support different drivers. The latest version has all-Italian drivers, for example. But the crossover and the tweeter driver and waveguides are all the same when used with the TD12S, and the plans still show what parts are required for the TD12S. So you can build your speakers with confidence.

What you can do - if you want to verify the condition of the drivers - is to make some acoustic measurements of them. That's the only way to really know. What we're looking for is smooth response up through 1khz, and in particular, we need to see damping of the cone flex mode around 700Hz. So you're looking primarily at the response near 700Hz. It needs to be smooth.
Previous Topic: Pete's Home Theater Build
Next Topic: Upgrading to Six Pi. What amp to use?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:07:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio