Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » H290C in Altec coaxial
H290C in Altec coaxial [message #92532] Thu, 29 October 2020 13:42 Go to next message
Drizzle is currently offline  Drizzle
Esquire
I've been playing with a pair of Altec 615 coaxial speakers I came across. These are commercial version of the much more famous 604. Their big weakness is the tweeter horn.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?11304-The-Altec-615B-Duplex-Coaxial

There is a high frequency "hole" in line with the center plug. Its very HF but very noticeable with pink noise.

What if I replaced this horn with the H290C? I would need to figure out how to mount the H290C from the diaphragm side and trim off the mounting flange. Assuming I can pull off a nice solid mounting scheme, is this a bad idea for reasons I'm not thinking about?

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2643&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2644&private=0
Re: H290C in Altec coaxial [message #92533 is a reply to message #92532] Thu, 29 October 2020 17:37 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's really hard to say how it would sound. But I'll be honest, I'm afraid the flare will obscure too much of the midwoofer, creating an on-axis hole below the crossover point.

You can always get one and try it. Or maybe a better idea would be to make a 11" x 6" panel out of wood or cardboard, and place it in front of the driver where the waveguide would be. Then measure the midwoofer response with and without the panel. Pay attention to the region between 500Hz and 1kHz. That will tell you how the obstruction from the waveguide affects the midwoofer radiation pattern, and will let you know how the system will act in the frequency range just below the crossover point.
Previous Topic: JBL 2012H 7pi midmorn
Next Topic: Pete's Home Theater Build
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 04:42:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout