Home » Audio » Source » Clear Vinyl
Clear Vinyl [message #92436] Thu, 15 October 2020 15:37 Go to next message
Nouri is currently offline  Nouri
Master
I saw some clear vinyl records for sale at a local retail store the other day. I was under the impression that clear or colored vinyl is more susceptible to poorer quality sound. Do they make them just for the novelty of it? Is it cheaper for them to make them this way?

I didn't buy one, by the way.
Re: Clear Vinyl [message #92437 is a reply to message #92436] Thu, 15 October 2020 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I don't know if clear or colored vinyl is qualitatively worse than black, but I have heard the same as you - that it isn't as good. People were saying that in the 1970s.

I do know that the records with images on them aren't as good, but it's kind of obvious because it's a transfer applied on top of the album.

Back to the colored records, I can't help but wonder how true it is about the qualitative differences. I say this because I know ABS plastic is an opaque clear color unless a dye is added. It is usually black, but can be any color. So that could be true for vinyl too. I'll bet it isn't black unless a dye is added. So that means all records have dye except the clear ones.

I have a few colored albums from the 1970s that sound wonderful too. One of 'em that comes to mind is Alan Parsons Project, Pyramid. It sounds fantastic.
Re: Clear Vinyl [message #92441 is a reply to message #92437] Fri, 16 October 2020 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
You could put Alan Parsons on an 8 track and it would sound fantastic. LOL

I think the black carbon is what strengthens the vinyl from it's raw form. This is what gives it higher quality than other colors.
Re: Clear Vinyl [message #92442 is a reply to message #92441] Fri, 16 October 2020 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I read somewhere that it also made the disk a little more conductive and therefore less prone to static pops.
Re: Clear Vinyl [message #92455 is a reply to message #92436] Mon, 19 October 2020 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I would love to learn the science behind this. It seems fascinating. I would think the black carbon would help alleviate the poopling, not lend to it.
Re: Clear Vinyl [message #92456 is a reply to message #92455] Tue, 20 October 2020 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'll be honest, I don't think there is any science behind the black dye causing the vinyl to be stronger or less static-prone. I think the choice of modifiers and stabilizers added to the vinyl is probably way more significant to its properties than the color of the dye.
Re: Clear Vinyl [message #92457 is a reply to message #92436] Tue, 20 October 2020 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm a traditionalist. Black is where it's at. You can see dust better.
Re: Clear Vinyl [message #92459 is a reply to message #92457] Tue, 20 October 2020 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I have never found the color to matter. Clear ones may cause some turntables that use auto size sense to get confused as they don't reflect the light beam underneath the platter to the sensor correctly.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Clear Vinyl [message #92716 is a reply to message #92459] Tue, 01 December 2020 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
So it's best to use an older turntable for a newer invention? That's ironic. Next thing you know they'll put something clear within the vinyl itself so the sensor can pick it up
Re: Clear Vinyl [message #92717 is a reply to message #92716] Tue, 01 December 2020 20:49 Go to previous message
Concorde is currently offline  Concorde
Master
They could also put a weight sensor into the unit. A 33 is going to weigh more than a 45 for example. The weight sensor could tell the stylus how far to go or not go.
Previous Topic: Oiling Turntable Bearings
Next Topic: Vinylgeddon
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:26:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout