Home » Audio » Source » Turntable "skipping" - Help!
Turntable "skipping" - Help! [message #12860] Tue, 28 March 2006 10:40 Go to next message
Jabrill is currently offline  Jabrill
Esquire
Greetings all,

I have never posted on this forum, but I ran across it recently and could use your assistance involving an issue that I've been having with my turntable.

I'm currently using a Sansui PD10 direct drive turntable that is older than myself (or so I've been told). It plays older records just fine, but when playing newer vinyl (especially over 140 grams) the record skips when nearing the end of the record (within about 2.5 - 3 inches from the center). I have tried replacing the cartridge and the stylus, but this has not resolved the issue. Cleaning the record does not fix much, either.

Also, I have only noticed this problem in the winter time (it seems to go away in the summer). I live in Pennsylvania and it gets pretty cold here in the winter. Could this be contributing?

So far I have thought of investing in a lower end direct drive DJ turntable such as a Stanton or a Gemini. Most of the records that are having the skipping problem are newer records which could be targeted to this audience; however, I have heard horror stories about said turntables doing some serious damage to records when compared with more "mainstream" commercial record players.

I have been in love with vinyl for the past 3 years and have been able to fix most of the technical problems that I've run into, but this one just confuses me. Anything that you can think of would be of value. Thanks!

Re: Turntable "skipping" - Help! [message #12878 is a reply to message #12860] Fri, 28 April 2006 01:09 Go to previous message
KARL VEE is currently offline  KARL VEE
Esquire
First I'm not famailiar with your particular turntable. That said, I assume you have set tracking and anti-skate properly. If your tonarm is the old S-shaped make sure the headshell is parallel to the vinyl, it may need to be rotated slightly. Also could it be a static charge? When I lived in Maryland I had a similar problem in the winter due to dryer air in the house from the HVAC running more often.

Previous Topic: Cartridge
Next Topic: marantz 6100 turntable plays slow..Help?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 18:06:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio