Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Live music?
Re: Live music? [message #92509 is a reply to message #92506] Sun, 25 October 2020 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
As far as studio musicians vs live. At least they're putting down real music with their real instruments. They may do multiple takes, but that may be directed by the producer. A good/great studio musician can do as many as they want, and any style they want because they're that good. They ain't faking it like lip syncing performer do. Or, think about all the pop music these days augmented with Autotune. Turning mediocre or outright bad singers into supposedly listenable singers, with no soul. How it's done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQmveSrJOEM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF67YxdCJdk
Re: Live music? [message #92512 is a reply to message #92506] Sun, 25 October 2020 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Porter is currently offline  Porter
Viscount
I don't think studio musicians are as much of a thing as they once were. At least that's what I gathered from reading about the band members in Toto, who got their start as studio musicians. I think it would be more difficult to play a live concert, simply because you can't do retakes like you can in the studio. That doesn't take away from their talent though. And they aren't pretending. My beef is that there are too many musicians today who host concerts without playing all/most of the music and doing the singing.

Re: Live music? [message #92683 is a reply to message #92390] Sat, 28 November 2020 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
Lost the Remote wrote on Wed, 07 October 2020 10:41
It depends on the genre. I expect most bands to play live, except for electronic groups. I don't think it's possible for most of them to create their sound live. They use too many gimmicks.
I can never tell whether those groups are playing live music and singing live or not. Not unless there's some big mistake, like pretending to sing into the mic when the music has already stopped or something.
Re: Live music? [message #92691 is a reply to message #92683] Sun, 29 November 2020 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lost the Remote is currently offline  Lost the Remote
Master
Leot55 wrote on Sat, 28 November 2020 16:51

I can never tell whether those groups are playing live music and singing live or not. Not unless there's some big mistake, like pretending to sing into the mic when the music has already stopped or something.

1. Do their rigs have power and are they actually turned on. Those are two big giveaways, especially when it comes to electronic music. If not, you know they're playing air keys.

2. Note how the singer is holding the microphone and whether you hear an acoustical change reflecting that. If not, they're likely miming.

Sometimes it is tricky and you have to go by the bands personalities and past performances to suss it out.
Re: Live music? [message #92692 is a reply to message #92691] Sun, 29 November 2020 22:17 Go to previous message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
There are exceptions of course, but usually when a band or singer performs on a TV show, then it was mimed. You're more likely to see genuine synth work and genuine singing during a live concert. There's just usually sequencing, looping, and other things involved too.
Previous Topic: Eric Church
Next Topic: Tried the new Vevo app?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:31:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout