Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3Pi and 4Pi Plans Request (Plans Request)
3Pi and 4Pi Plans Request [message #92340] Mon, 21 September 2020 10:17 Go to next message
endo is currently offline  endo
Esquire
Hi,
I would like to request the 3pi and 4pi plans.

Regards,
Endo
Re: 3Pi and 4Pi Plans Request [message #92341 is a reply to message #92340] Mon, 21 September 2020 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Please choose which of those two models you would prefer and let me know. I'll send plans.

The two models are similar, with the biggest difference being the driver compliment. Please see the Pi Speakers FAQ for more information. Pay particular attention to the section called "Models, Upgrades and Driver Characteristics." It has links to information about the differences between models and available options.
Re: 3Pi and 4Pi Plans Request [message #92342 is a reply to message #92341] Mon, 21 September 2020 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Wayne,

Thanks- please send the 4Pi, if you could. I am debating whether to attempt to build the box on my own or purchase the flat-pack. I have zero wood working skills/experience and the flat-pack sounds intriguing. But, of course I'm trying to save money too.

Regards,
Endo
Re: 3Pi and 4Pi Plans Request [message #92343 is a reply to message #92342] Mon, 21 September 2020 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You've got mail!
Re: 3Pi and 4Pi Plans Request [message #92344 is a reply to message #92343] Tue, 22 September 2020 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Wayne,

Thanks for sending the plans. How many clamps do you recommend I have when putting the 4Pi speakers together? I am starting from scratch (tool-wise) and I'm figuring out what I need.

Thanks,
Endo
Re: 3Pi and 4Pi Plans Request [message #92345 is a reply to message #92344] Tue, 22 September 2020 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'll defer to the cabinetmakers here to offer suggestions. I'm the acoustics and electronics guy, and others here are better at the woodworking. Some amazingly so.

That said, I think you could get by with two 30" bar clamps, but four or six would be even better.
Re: 3Pi and 4Pi Plans Request [message #92347 is a reply to message #92345] Wed, 23 September 2020 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OutOfSpace is currently offline  OutOfSpace
Chancellor
Endo, the number of clamps you need depends on the details of how the pieces fit together and how many pieces have to be clamped at a time. My guess is a minimum of 4 (one for each opposing corner).
Butt joints verses miter joints verses using screws instead of clamps make a difference as well. Are you going to sand, fill, sand, and paint, or do you want a natural wood finish? You'll have to think those details all the way through, and dry-fit everything so you know what to do once you have glue on the joints. You don't want to be figuring that out while the glue is drying.
As for your question about the cost of the kits, they are vastly cheaper than getting a usable table saw. It's possible to use a circular saw with a guide to get good cuts, but in all cases, practice before trying to build your first speakers. MDF is cheap enough to make that practical.

Chris
Re: 3Pi and 4Pi Plans Request [message #92348 is a reply to message #92347] Wed, 23 September 2020 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I am planning a Home Theater and am thinking about putting the speakers behind an acoustically transparent screen. I am debating whether to spend time finishing the speakers or just hastily painting them black since they will likely never been seen.

I admit, I am waffling between the 4Pi and the DIY Sound Group HT-10 or HT-12. I am trying to keep my costs down and the 4Pi's are quite a bit more expensive. I am "sold" on the need for a high-sensitivity speaker which offers excellent off-axis response and both seem like contenders.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the advantages of the 4Pi over DIYSG offerings. There are some older threads on AVSForum which were quite passionate but seemed less based on facts/measurements. I'm not trying stir things up!

-Endo
Re: 3Pi and 4Pi Plans Request [message #92349 is a reply to message #92348] Wed, 23 September 2020 14:51 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think if you peruse the Pi Speakers FAQ and do searches here in the forum, you'll probably find all the answers to any questions you might have.

In particular, you might want to read the H290C Horn/Waveguide thread. It discusses the benefits of that design quite a lot. And look at what is offered by shorting rings in the drivers. Also, look for things about spacing of the vertical nulls, things like crossover frequency and slope and spacing between drivers, which is largely dependent on their size. And finally, look at baffle step and how the flanking sub configuration is used to compensate for that while at the same time reducing SBIR from nearest boundaries.

For me, the best loudspeaker designs use high-quality components and also optimize their interactions with one another. It's a whole systems approach.
Previous Topic: H290C Horn/Waveguide
Next Topic: WTB B&C DE250 pair
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:25:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout