Home » Audio » General » An Old Telephone From.........The '50s Maybe?
An Old Telephone From.........The '50s Maybe? [message #92199] Sat, 22 August 2020 15:41 Go to next message
The Noise is currently offline  The Noise
Master
I'm going to describe something that I can only assume was a telephone that I saw in a house last week and I would like to know if anyone here knows what I'm talking about. When it was made, who made it, among other things.

The box was rectangular, wood, mounted on a wall, had a number pad for "dialing" and a part of the wood structure was cut out for, I'm assuming, a speaker with cloth over the cut-out. In a way, it looks like it would be part of an intercom system within the house, but it did have a keypad. It did not have handset for talking, so I'm assuming there was a button or 2 you could push to hear and be heard.

I Googled for a while and I just couldn't find it.

I am really interested to know what that was.
Re: An Old Telephone From.........The '50s Maybe? [message #92204 is a reply to message #92199] Sun, 23 August 2020 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The earliest phones were in wood boxes like you describe. But the intercom feature sounds like something custom, perhaps made specifically for the house.
Re: An Old Telephone From.........The '50s Maybe? [message #92214 is a reply to message #92204] Wed, 26 August 2020 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Csharp is currently offline  Csharp
Viscount
That would explain why Google couldn't find it I suppose. Have you tried Pinterest? It sounds like an interesting piece of equipment at the very least.
Re: An Old Telephone From.........The '50s Maybe? [message #92219 is a reply to message #92214] Wed, 26 August 2020 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I would guess it was an intercom as well. The speaker is the giveaway. In many intercoms they were used for both listening and talking. There is likely a push to talk switch on it somewhere.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: An Old Telephone From.........The '50s Maybe? [message #92224 is a reply to message #92219] Thu, 27 August 2020 21:15 Go to previous message
The Noise is currently offline  The Noise
Master
Yeah it does look more like an intercom than a phone. The keypad through me off though.

It went well with all other furnishings in the house. It all was dated, but very classy.
Previous Topic: Best Looking Female Lead
Next Topic: Does The Weather Affect The Quality Of Music?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 19:39:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio