Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Upgrading to Six Pi. What amp to use?
Upgrading to Six Pi. What amp to use? [message #92178] Mon, 17 August 2020 13:23 Go to next message
Mabob is currently offline  Mabob
Chancellor
Hi

I'm in the beginning of updating my 3Pi speakers to 6Pis.
Just got the Delta 10.s and started cutting wood for the midhorn.

This will probably be a long process, but I plan to have it done by Christmas. Rolling Eyes

My Onkyo HT amp just died the HDMI death that plagues so many of them.
There's not very much to do about it and I would like to move on to PA amps anyway.

I've had my eyes on the Crown XLS line which is wery affordable. Unfortunately I read some reviews where people complain about background hiss on high efficiency speakers. The smallest of them the 1002 has a s/n ratio of 97db when the 1502 is at 103db.

Can anyone confirm that this is a real issue with 3&6 Pi speakers before I go ahead? Any input is appreciated. In terms of power I'm sure that the 1002 will suffice with 215w at 8 Ohms.

Mathias
Re: Upgrading to Six Pi. What amp to use? [message #92179 is a reply to message #92178] Mon, 17 August 2020 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rvsixer is currently offline  rvsixer
Baron
My two Pfennig's worth:
I am running a Crown XLS 1502 on DIY MTM speakers (dome tweeter, 92dB sensitivity). If I really turn it up, I do get a little bit of hiss. At best, these amps are mid-fi, sound okay but do not measure anywhere near the top of the heap objectively (mediocre SINAD, limited bit depth resolution, etc.). I know some of the overtly subjective "audiophiles" on youtube go nuts as this being the best hifi amp available, but I bet none have ever touched a measurement probe to find out for real).

When I get to my 3pi/6pi build, I will be using Hypex NCORE series (likely NC252MP series). Top of the heap in objective measurements, and by all accounts dead quiet (in Europe audiophonics.fr has very reasonable pricing of 391 euros on this stereo amp. But if you want you can spend up to $2000 USD for the boutique name versions of the same thing Very Happy ).

XLS 1502 objective test:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-crown-xls-1502-amp.6062/

Hypex NC252MP build/test:
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2020/01/an-inexpensive-hi-fi-class-d-stereo-amp.html

Good luck!
Re: Upgrading to Six Pi. What amp to use? [message #92181 is a reply to message #92179] Tue, 18 August 2020 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Much appreciated information @rvsixer!

I've seen the test by audiosience which wasn't very flattering. Still I don't think it'll be any worse than my old AV-amp. The thing that bothers me most is the possibility of background hiss at low volume and I think it would bug me too much.

Hypex make some very nice amplifier modules. The older UCD measured really nicely and the new Ncore might be even better? As you said, pricing isn't bad at least here in Europe.

However being on a tight budget I've been looking at used pro amps and trying to see if I can find some gem in good condition. There is a good looking QSC GX3 up for grabs. This seem to be a class B amplifier. Generally people seem to think these are good sounding but the fans is too noisy. So I'll probably do a fans swap if i end up getting this.
Re: Upgrading to Six Pi. What amp to use? [message #92643 is a reply to message #92178] Fri, 20 November 2020 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hi Wayne

Is there an updated version for the 6-Pi crossovers? I have finally made
some progress on the midhorns and about to order parts for the crossover.
I will be using the B&C 12PLB woofer and you mentioned crossover changes in
the post about 4012 EOL post.

Btw, the midhorns look simple on paper... But cutting the angles and making
it nice and square is another thing Confused

Regards
Mathias
Re: Upgrading to Six Pi. What amp to use? [message #92645 is a reply to message #92643] Fri, 20 November 2020 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm not sure what version plans you have so I'm sending the latest plans.
Re: Upgrading to Six Pi. What amp to use? [message #92646 is a reply to message #92645] Fri, 20 November 2020 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks Wayne

My plans was from before the update options for Deltapro and 12PLB100. Will check how they differ from each other.

Regards
Mathias
Re: Upgrading to Six Pi. What amp to use? [message #92647 is a reply to message #92646] Fri, 20 November 2020 11:23 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There are generally more changes in the three π model than the six π when different woofers are used. The three π uses the woofer through the midrange but the six π does not.
Previous Topic: Pi 3 questions
Next Topic: one pi plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:34:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout