Home » Audio » Swap Meet » Reference SAS Audio Labs 11A Line Preamplifier (Lab Quality, 1st manufactured)
Reference SAS Audio Labs 11A Line Preamplifier [message #92145] Sun, 09 August 2020 20:09
positron is currently offline  positron
Viscount
The last used SAS Audio Labs Reference 11A that was for sale was some
5 years ago, in Europe.

The 11A was the reference preamplifier by both Bound for Sound editor/publisher Martin DeWulf and by BFS reviewer Dr. Richard Weiner. (No magazine advertisements accepted.)

The only preamplifier on the planet that has an adjustment to compensate for different amplifier input impedances (Z) on the fly, which affects the frequency response.

Six power supply filter stages. Specialized filtering to prevent any input contamination from AC, power cords, transformers etc.

Only the highest quality parts were utilized, such as Vampire all copper jacks, Mills Military non-inductive resistors, 6N pure copper wire, gold plated tube sockets etc. Parts tolerances were less than 0.5% and between channels.

Mute section to prevent thumps with both power on and off

Series vacuum tube regulation

An AC polarity switch (mute will function when flipped, ~45 seconds)

The 11A was checked for accuracy by under going specialized types of listening tests for over 6 years, before being marketed in 2005. However, specs are given below for those interested.

The owner's personal reviews.

"Dr. Rich Weiner: "The SAS 11A is the most musically truthful preamp I'm aware of, and I will expand that statement by listing some of the line stages I've had in my otherwise very stable system: Herron VTSP-1, VAC CPA III, VAC Standard LE, Audio Research 3A, ARC 8, ARC 10, Mark Levinson ML-1, Levinson ML-7, Levinson ML-10A, Original Aronov PS-100 and Musical Concepts modification, Nagra PL-P, Beveridge RM-1, Rappaport, Placette Passive - there are more, but you get the point. Until I got the 11A, I struggled to make the other components live up to their potential."
(Rich owns upgraded $15,000 300B monoblock amplifiers.)

"Graham: "I took the B11A into a shop in Auckland. I know the owner fairly well, and we agree that Shindo make some wonderful pieces of kit. (I wasn't looking for a change!) Almost immediately we started listening, he said "That's really fast!" We also agreed that the B11A was much clearer, making the Shindo sound slow, muddy, and coloured."

"Bob: "Hey guys. . .if anyone's interested, I'm selling my Tram 2 preamp since my SAS B11A is so awesome...." (Tram 2 uses 45, 2A3s)

Specifications (for this 11A) are given for those interested in such.

Notice the FR specification is not simply +/-0,1db from 20-20khz.

Frequency Response 20hz: < -0,015db, 25k load.
Frequency Response 20khz: < -0,0015db at 20khz, 100pf load

Gain: 20db
Total Harmonic Distortion at 2 vrms: 0.015%, Approximately -78db or less (Min 18db less than with any 6SN7 or variant)
Channel Separation at 10khz: 90db typical
Signal Polarity: Inverts
Input Impedance: 25k ohms (50k optional)
Output Impedance: 1.9K (1900) ohms
Min. Amplifier Input Impedance: 25k ohms (20k ohms but with slight loss of bass)
Volume Controls: 2
Tape Loops, HT bypass: Optional
Line Inputs: 3 Basic Version (5 Standard version)
Preamp. Outputs: 2

Line Cord Length: 6 feet standard
Power Consumption: 28 watts
Power Requirements: 117/234 Volts AC, 50/60hz (120 volts, 0,25 amp slo-blo)
Dimensions: 19" front
4" high (with stock feet)
14 1/4" deep (counting knobs and jacks)

Condition good, gold knobs are little dingy from hands.

Contact me vis PM or stevesammet at omnilec.com

Cheers

steve

Previous Topic: Jenalabs Easy ONE A-C Power Line Conditioner
Next Topic: Dunlavy SC-V's for Sale
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:58:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio