Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi 4 for full measurements?
Pi 4 for full measurements? [message #92121] Mon, 27 July 2020 17:06 Go to next message
jtwrace is currently offline  jtwrace
Chancellor
Hey Wayne,

Have you ever thought about having the Pi 4 measured by Amir at ASR? It's totally free if you pay the shipping one way.

He has the Klippel NFS https://www.klippel.de/products/rd-system/modules/nfs-near-field-scanner.html

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?members/amirm.2/
Re: Pi 4 for full measurements? [message #92124 is a reply to message #92121] Tue, 28 July 2020 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks for the heads-up! I may build a knockabout pair to ship. Third-party measurements are always useful and welcome.

In the meantime, there are a lot of other people that have measured their own four Pi speakers too. So a search here or on the internet brings lots of response charts measured by other people.

Having so many other measurements gives independent confirmation in a sort of "crowd sourcing" way. It's useful to see so many different measurement systems and conditions showing agreement with what I've measured.

As for me and my measurement gear, I develop new designs using Smith & Larson equipment because it has a feature that lets me build a digital crossover using a Spice model. So I am able to tweak the values of the passive components in the Spice model to see the effects. This lets me dial in the position of the forward lobe. It uses an MLS signal for measurement.

I then use LMS outdoors for the measurements I publish. I drive with a specific drive signal and distance, one that provides equivalence to 1W/1M. It's usually two meters but sometimes can be as far as ten meters, especially for basshorns. I also measure on-axis and at various off-axis angles in ten degree increments.
Re: Pi 4 for full measurements? [message #92125 is a reply to message #92124] Tue, 28 July 2020 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor

Wayne Parham wrote on Tue, 28 July 2020 11:34
Thanks for the heads-up! I may build a knockabout pair to ship. Third-party measurements are always useful and welcome.

In the meantime, there are a lot of other people that have measured their own four Pi speakers too. So a search here or on the internet brings lots of response charts measured by other people.

That would be super awesome! Yes, but the NFS is quite advanced to what others have done at home likely. Wink

Oh, and you only need to send one!
Re: Pi 4 for full measurements? [message #92126 is a reply to message #92124] Tue, 28 July 2020 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phorize is currently offline  Phorize
Esquire
I'd welcome this. ASR is a friendly community with very high evidence based standards, and a pi4 test would be fascinating.
Re: Pi 4 for full measurements? [message #92127 is a reply to message #92126] Tue, 28 July 2020 12:27 Go to previous message
Chancellor
Phorize wrote on Tue, 28 July 2020 12:25
I'd welcome this. ASR is a friendly community with very high evidence based standards, and a pi4 test would be fascinating.
Yes, and the NFS system is to standards which is great and the cost is literally shipping and that's it. The NFS is $100k

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2601&private=0
Previous Topic: 4Pi Plans
Next Topic: Reasons not to birch ply instead of MDF
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Aug 15 15:29:19 CDT 2020

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers