Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Trigger finger is itchy
Re: Trigger finger is itchy [message #92826 is a reply to message #92663] Sun, 20 December 2020 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
My review at long last. Drum roll..... crickets chirping. I found something that seems to accurately and visually accounts for what I'm enjoying from this line preamplifier with phono circuit built in. This is from a Danish speaker builder whom has tried a couple of Transcendent Sound products. Here he remarks about the prior phono preamp that the new Slider line preamp replaces.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2676&private=0

His remarks:

Above the perceived soundstage from these experiments. When we did the Densen/Transcendent comparison we first listened to the Densen and then the Transcendent and my guest bringing in the Densen said: "See, a wider soundstage!" And yes, I too hear a sort of wider soundstage, but at the cost of the holographic and expansive midrange good valve stages can create through good high-efficiency speakers (DTQWT in use here). From Densen and the Jasmine I hear a somewhat compressed midrange, very cool, very clean, but nevertheless without the transparent, almost "reach out and touch" properties of good valves.

I suspect this might be what Johnnycamp is experiencing with his new preamp. And will be the same with Bruce's phono preamp when made publicly available.
This seems to sum up what I'm hearing better than any gushing prose I can write. It was quite a change from my Graham Slee preamp with the volume setting I typically used. Going above 9 or 10 o'clock would make very loud music. The prior Transcendent phono pre was too hot to put in my system. When this new rig became available that sealed it. Now with a gain and volume setting to use, I'm typically putting the volume control around 1 or 2 o'clock and just bringing the gain setting up to about the 9 o'clock range for typical listening levels. I get better channel balance, just like the man says in his write up. What he states is right on. Now, I guess I'll try out some different 12AX7's and hear what gives.
Re: Trigger finger is itchy [message #92834 is a reply to message #92119] Mon, 21 December 2020 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
That's great Rusty! Congrats!

That is the impression I get from tube preamp vs. ss preamp.
My VTA sp-14 also has left and right gain knobs, and then the master volume.

Its a high gain pre-amp (19db). In my system the left and right gain knobs are set at 3:00 and then the master is at around 1:00-2:00 for around 80-85 db..

Re: Trigger finger is itchy [message #92835 is a reply to message #92834] Mon, 21 December 2020 11:57 Go to previous message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I like supporting these independent audio entrepreneurs that maximize the end users resources, (their labor), to bring high end to the masses. They're doing it for the joy it brings them and a little bit of income to lead a life of their own without kowtowing to a corporate entity. Frequently and probably to a higher percentage so, they innovate and push the envelope of the craft that can't be replicated by the big players without a commensurate inflated price tag.

Years ago after out of curiosity trying out a subscription to Audiophile mag, just to get a taste of what this high end was about. I happened on to an article/ review of Rozenblit's first commercially available OTL amp. And he was based in my home town. The review was praise worthy as the reviewer ended with, "penciling in" about obtaining this amp. This was the beginning, and end to any commercial audio magazine review of his products. I figured it was his confirmation of acceptance by the ordained audiophile community that his products were viable. But, I reckon from there is where the concept of a small diy kit manufacturer and a pay to play requirement of the audio review process ended. Thus henceforth his products never made the recommended list of that publication.

When I picked my unit up from him after he fixed his error in the instruction manual. He told me after I asked if and when he might retire. He said, he'd keep on until he wasn't capable of his standards mentally. And that, as a business venture he could probably make as much or more working at a hardware store. He had worked as a consultant in the power industry.
It was luck I found out about his little company. Only through an audio rag that other than my finding out about a valuable resource for great audio at sanely priced products, most of what your paying for is prestige and pretty casework with usually ordinary circuits residing within. I let my subscription to Audio-vile lapse after one year.
Previous Topic: Guitar Amp
Next Topic: Solid State vs. Vacuum Amps
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:44:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout