Home » Audio » Source » Linn Arm and Ortofon Cart
Linn Arm and Ortofon Cart [message #12843] Thu, 09 March 2006 12:51 Go to next message
Jody Thornton is currently offline  Jody Thornton
Esquire
Hi There All:

I'm using a Revolver turntable fitted with a Linn Basik LV X arm. I recently had a Grado Gold installed however I found that at the appropriate tracking force (1.5 g, as verified by the dealer) that it would mistrack - mostly sibliance on "hot" percussive records.

I took a listen to some other carts. I cheapened out and bought an Ortofon OM 5E. Mind you, to me it sounds quite solid, and the sibilance has gone away.

My only concern it that on my Linn arm, the VTF is set to 2.25 g. The dealer swears against anti-skating compensation, but I found that the best setting seems to be just above the 1.25 g setting on the anti-skating setting.

I'm concerned that to rid of the sibilance, I may be tracking the Ortofon too heavy. The cantilever on the stylus does bend upwards a little more than it did on my Grado. I just don't want to prematurely wear the stylus, records, or damage the cantilever.

Mind you everything sounds good.

Should I leave the settings?

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

Re: Linn Arm and Ortofon Cart [message #12844 is a reply to message #12843] Thu, 09 March 2006 13:11 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes I would. More damage occurs due to too light a setting than to more force applied,( within reason of course.) And the anti-skate thing. Thats Grado's thing from years ago. I use some on my Ittok. The HFNRR test disc does fine with it.

Previous Topic: Some help?
Next Topic: Any recommendations on DVD-A/SACD players?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 17:13:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio