Home » xyzzy » Tower » The Blob
The Blob [message #92078] Mon, 06 July 2020 10:52 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone, This is something I posted on another site but thought I would share it with you all.

Thwarted by the blob

It got me, made me frustrated. It made me waste a lot of time. For several days it confounded me. I looked everywhere for the problem. I checked each connection, each cable, tested all the tubes. I took apart the phono preamp at least 10 times. It always checked out fine on the bench, but not in the system. Ugh, double ugh. Confused It did give me the opportunity to upgrade some internal wiring and interconnects though. Razz Not the problem. What was happening was that the one phono preamp would stop putting out sound on one channel at random intervals in the system. All the other gear attached (4 amps, the line stage, the crossover, the other phono preamp, CD, and speakers) checked out fine and behaved like expected. The preamp always worked on the bench. So I figured the problem had to be somewhere else. Wrong, double wrong. Finally I spied the problem, a small blob of solder that was stuck on the bottom side of the left channel output jack. On the bench the cables put just enough side pressure on the jack to keep it from shorting out. Twisted Evil In the system because of the way the cables were arranged the pressure was less. So at random intervals it would short out. Now all is fine. The blob has gone to blob Valhalla. Or considering my less polite thoughts on the issue some place much warmer. Rolling Eyes

I hope you week has gone better.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: The Blob [message #92079 is a reply to message #92078] Mon, 06 July 2020 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oh, yeah, I just love those sorts of problems. Super weird ones. Even weirder than a cold solder joint - sounds like yours was a mechanical problem caused by the physical size of the solder material causing interference with another electrical conductor, squeezing it into an unwanted connection. Nice find!
Re: The Blob [message #92080 is a reply to message #92078] Mon, 06 July 2020 11:33 Go to previous message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Beware of The Blob, it creeps
And leaps and glides and slides
Across the floor
Right through the door

And all around the wall
A splotch, a blotch
Be careful of The Blob

Written By Burt Bacharach of all people for the movie. But, your dilemma would have driven me insane. Those little drops of solder are to be given great deference. And removed, destroyed, annihilated at all cost. Thanks for sharing a great cautionary tale.
Previous Topic: Opinions Remain As Opinions
Next Topic: Weeds
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 08:16:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout