Home » Audio » Source » Some help?
Some help? [message #12832] Mon, 06 March 2006 14:12 Go to next message
isaac is currently offline  isaac
Esquire
about 2 weeks ago i purchased a new direct drive turntable and some new vinyl. Being used to my old clumsy belt driven turntable i overlooked the fact that there was a counterweight in the box that needed to be used. while playing some records i noticed a slight dragging noise, and knew that it was probably the cartridge rubbing against the record but again i overlooked the need of the counterweight. So now that i have the counterweighton i want to assess the damage of my needle and my new vinyl. my first question: Is there any way of checking the quality of the needle?> Second: I noticed that now while playing the records i hear slight pops(not skipping) associated with old vinyl. Is slight popping normal with new vinyl that was only played once or twice?, because I am wondering if the cartridge rubbing had anything to do with this.
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks
Isaac

Re: Some help? [message #12833 is a reply to message #12832] Mon, 06 March 2006 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I would say your new vynil is now old vynil if you tracked at 10 grams forgetting the counterweight. Then again maybe not.

Re: Some help? [message #12835 is a reply to message #12833] Mon, 06 March 2006 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yeah, without a counterweight, I'd say stuff probably got trashed pretty good. Might be best to start from scratch. (Pun intended)

Re: Some help? [message #12841 is a reply to message #12835] Tue, 07 March 2006 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Ah haha! What do they call that music; grunge?

Re: Some help? [message #12842 is a reply to message #12841] Tue, 07 March 2006 10:36 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Grunge, yeah, must be. Or maybe thrash. Maybe punk.

Previous Topic: Turntable sounds tinny or metalic without much base
Next Topic: Linn Arm and Ortofon Cart
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 13 18:48:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout