Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Joe's basement
Joe's basement [message #91943] Sun, 24 May 2020 10:41 Go to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Here's a guy that's making his own turntable and tonearms. Remarkable skill and attention to detail. What some people do fiddling around their workshop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86lwhfxM6QY&list=RDCMUC9wBmplRUhaCi-aNrkfgeTg&start_radio=1&t=41
Re: Joe's basement [message #91953 is a reply to message #91943] Mon, 25 May 2020 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Dude, that's so awesome! Incredible!
Re: Joe's basement [message #91954 is a reply to message #91953] Mon, 25 May 2020 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Here's Joe's speaker system. Bruce Edgar design apparently. Looks like it eats up the whole room. Which is meticulously, (of course) dampened and acoustically treated. I get a kick out of Joe's New Yawk accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFoCVw2AJRc
Re: Joe's basement [message #91958 is a reply to message #91943] Tue, 26 May 2020 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
Those speakers are what you get after you tire of teeny tiny Altec 19's.

It's impressive his floor can actually handle that much weight!
Re: Joe's basement [message #91960 is a reply to message #91958] Tue, 26 May 2020 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sorry to digress for a moment, but I want to make a quick plug for Bruce Edgar.

Bruce is a heck of a guy. He and I have participated together in various audio message boards and audio shows for the past couple of decades, and I've always considered him to be a kindred spirit and a heck of a nice guy.

He likes to build horns that are focused on a single point, whereas I like horns that provide uniform directivity. So our design paths diverge. But he has done a lot in the field of audio, and I'm glad to see some of his Edgarhorn gear is still being loved.

Now days, Dr. Edgar is consulting for this company:
Re: Joe's basement [message #91961 is a reply to message #91960] Tue, 26 May 2020 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
He's like the godfather of the rebirth of American horn speaker design isn't he? Not discounting you Wayne, but he's up in years isn't he? I use to subscribe to Speaker Builder magazine. Still have most the issues. That kind of product he's involved in now is way and above my bank account. I'm sure it's exquisite, but, us out there in the world of the regular guy variety that have come across your designs are eternally grateful we did.
Re: Joe's basement [message #91962 is a reply to message #91961] Tue, 26 May 2020 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Bruce is getting up in years, that's true. But he's got a keen mind, so while he isn't as spry as he once was - and definitely hasn't been lugging speakers to shows in a while - he is still sharp as a tack.

But Bruce likes the tractrix horns and I like constant directivity horns. Bruce is a tractrix guy and I'm a waveguide guy. There are a lot of things in common, but there are a few things that are optimized differently in the two approaches.

Bruce favors designs that optimize acoustic loading, even if that means directivity suffers. I favor designs that optimize directivity, even if that means that acoustic loading suffers. Both of us want low-distortion and purity of wavefront launch, but tractrix guys are content for the sound quality to be focused on a single axis whereas waveguide guys are concerned with a uniform reverberant field, and so expect sound quality to be good over a wide area in the room.

Still, we are definitely kindred spirits and I really like the guy.

We have actually been designing speakers for about the same length of time. I believe he started in this hobby in the late 1970s, and so did I. He is older than me, but I started young, as you can see in my first design copyright registration.

https://www.pispeakers.com/Copyright_VAu_14-641.gif

Re: Joe's basement [message #91966 is a reply to message #91962] Wed, 27 May 2020 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
A proud legacy. All intellectual disciplines seem to have their technical variants with their followings. No doubt you two veterans are most mutually respectful of each other. Sometimes animosities develop between peers with varying preferences. The setup that Joe implemented is impressive for it's size, complexity and, 'weight'. I'm sure it throws out a sound commensurate to those traits. But it's a bit impractical for my tastes, even if I had the money to throw around for such things. None the less, just seeing what some guy does with their wits and skill following their muse creating is cool.
Re: Joe's basement [message #91967 is a reply to message #91943] Wed, 27 May 2020 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
I didn't find any pricing on that website but it's just as well. It's obviously way past my means.

But the weight of the Dragon system is listed. The speaker is about 2,000 pounds and the sub is just a bit under 1,000 pounds.

Crikey!

It is nice to hear Bruce is still working on audio gear. It's nice to think we'll all be able to stay sharp and enjoy our passions as we get older.
Re: Joe's basement [message #91998 is a reply to message #91943] Sun, 31 May 2020 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
Watch and learn kids........that is how it is done. I wonder if he ever gave thought to tutorials more personal than You Tube videos. His expertise is off the charts.
Previous Topic: Winging It
Next Topic: Exposing The Wires Without Cutting It
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:10:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout