Home » Audio » Source » turntable upgrade?
turntable upgrade? [message #12827] Sun, 05 March 2006 06:32 Go to next message
jonnyboy is currently offline  jonnyboy
Chancellor
I OWN A HARMAN KARDON ST8 WITH RABCO ARM AND A STANTON 681 EEE CARTRIGE AND STYLUS. I BOUGHT IT USED AT A STEREO SHOP WHERE I LIVE ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO, I HAVE NEVER DONE ANYTHING TO IT, I HAVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT PURCHASING A NEW TURNTABLE, BUT I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT WHAT I HAVE AND HOW MUCH I WOULD NEED TO SPEND TO GET SOMETHING WHICH WOULD BE A DEFINATE UPGRADE? WOULD I BE BETTER OFF REPLACING THE CARTRIGE AND STYLUS V.S. BUYING NEW? I WOULD MOST LIKELY NOT SPEND MORE THAN $1,200....ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRICIATED...

Re: turntable upgrade? [message #12828 is a reply to message #12827] Sun, 05 March 2006 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
1200$?? Thats more than I spent. Get a second hand Linn in good shape or get anyone of the big brand tables; VPI/Project/Goldring/Rega/Audio Note/ long list. The Audio Note model 2 is a real nice set-up. Hard to beat. Check the Audio Note site.

Re: turntable upgrade? [message #12829 is a reply to message #12828] Sun, 05 March 2006 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jonnyboy is currently offline  jonnyboy
Chancellor
DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE H.K. ST8 WHICH I HAVE? I'VE BEEN POKING AROUND AND IT SEEMS IT WAS A HIGH END TABLE IN THE LATE 70'S? I WOULD PROBABLY SPEND MORE THAN $1,200, BUT I HAVE TOO MANY OTHER HOBBIES AND I DON'T MAKE A TON OF MONEY, BUT I LOVE MUSIC! I HAVE HEARD REALLY BAD THINGS ABOUT PROJECT AS FAR A DEPENDABILTY AND TRYING TO GET THEM REPAIRED? BUT I WILL CHECK OUT THE OTHER BRANDS MENTIONED. I ALSO DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO PLAY AROUND WITH ADJUSTMENTS TOO MUCH, I JUST WANT IT TO BE RELIABLE AND SOUND BETTER THAN WHAT I HAVE. I LIVE IN MINNEAPOLIS, HOME OF THE NEEDLE DR., BUT I DON'T THINK THEY CARRY AUDIO NOTE? I'LL HAVE TO CHECK INTO IT, THANKS FOR THE INFO,,,,JONNYBOY

Re: Trying to think of the Dustin Hoffman movie... [message #12830 is a reply to message #12829] Mon, 06 March 2006 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
He had that rig and played Sousa marches for his one-night stands to get'm up and out. Kinda mis-cast as a lady-killer?
The Rabco had a rep as being finicky and a poor tracker. Maybe undeserved, I see they're bringing $$$ on Audiogon these days.

Linn's and my Ariston, any suspended table really, are hobbies in themselves but the effort pays off.

The VPI HW-19 Mk III or IV which moved the springs from the platter to the feet has to be the most under-rated table out there. Lot's of'm with good arms for around $1,000 or less.No longer made but parts are. The opposite of "fussy".

Re: Trying to think of the Dustin Hoffman movie... [message #12831 is a reply to message #12830] Mon, 06 March 2006 08:13 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Regarding the VPI let me add that Harry provides excellent product support. You have a problem; he answers the phone. And all the VPI's can be upgraded to the nth degree.
The Rabco's had a weak linear tracking system that was hard to adjust and mis-tracked if there was the slightest piece of dust on the transport. Not for the faint-hearted.

Previous Topic: where are the Toshiba SD 3950's?
Next Topic: Amp settings
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 07:46:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout