Home » Audio » General » The Golden Age Of Equipment
The Golden Age Of Equipment [message #91882] Sat, 16 May 2020 10:16 Go to next message
Miami is currently offline  Miami
Viscount
The Golden Age of music is very subjective as everyone's personal tastes are different. But equipment is a different story because everyone is on the same page when it comes down to advancements. It was either a beneficial one or it wasn't.

So when do you think stereo equipment hit its Golden Age? What was the best era in terms of solid audio performance and the physical craftsmanship?
Re: The Golden Age Of Equipment [message #91890 is a reply to message #91882] Sat, 16 May 2020 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
For me the Japanese and their turntables of the late 70's & 80's till their demise initially. Their innovation and craftsmanship were superb. They did up some fine electronics as well. Just look through the Vintage Knob sometime.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/
Re: The Golden Age Of Equipment [message #91893 is a reply to message #91890] Sun, 17 May 2020 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think, in audio, we're in a state of continuity. There has been great stuff in every decade. We made better stuff before the 1970s, generally, but that's because we had so many electronics companies like Phillips, Magnavox, etc. So I think our midrange level and maybe upper midrange products were better before the late 1970s. But the really great stuff is made by niche companies, and we have always had a few passionate great companies in every decade.

In cars, I think America was great in the 50s and 60s but fell to a low point in the late-70s and 80s. But now American cars are back to being excellent. This is probably true of heavy equipment and appliances too.
Re: The Golden Age Of Equipment [message #91894 is a reply to message #91882] Mon, 18 May 2020 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
That's a hard one to answer because they used to take pride in American craftsmanship. They WANTED to do a good job so there was competition on that level.
Re: The Golden Age Of Equipment [message #91929 is a reply to message #91882] Fri, 22 May 2020 14:13 Go to previous message
Nouri is currently offline  Nouri
Master
My preference are the one's they made in the 20's. 1920's that is. I just like the way they look. I would love to be able to replicate one with my own material and tools.
Previous Topic: Changing the listening experience
Next Topic: The Absolute Sound
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:03:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout