Home » Audio » Source » Bent records
Bent records [message #91839] Thu, 07 May 2020 07:23 Go to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I bought a bunch of records at a yard sale. Most are in decent shape, but a couple are severely warped. I've checked around and saw the tip about heating them up in the oven between two pieces of glass in order to flatten them back out. However, these records are bent to the point that I fear putting them between anything that heavy will cause them to snap. Should I try heating them up in the oven on a pane of glass with nothing on top at first. Then pull them out and place a lightweight book on top. Then gradually add heavier books as time goes? Are they a lost cause?
Re: Bent records [message #91842 is a reply to message #91839] Thu, 07 May 2020 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I think your the man to experiment. Try it and find out. I've got a record that's warped pretty good, but it plays without too much issue. It would be nice to know if this method is genuine or not. But I'm not willing to try this out because I like the music on it and don't want to jeopardize it. If those records aren't playable like they are, you got nothing to loose. Punch the envelope dude!
Re: Bent records [message #91847 is a reply to message #91839] Thu, 07 May 2020 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miami is currently offline  Miami
Viscount
I would worry more about what could go wrong by putting glass in oven. Shocked Also remember that vinyl is not meant to be exposed to those kinds of temperatures. If heat caused it to warp, how could MORE heat cause it to straighten out?

If anything, put it between two heavy objects in the freezer.
Re: Bent records [message #91848 is a reply to message #91847] Fri, 08 May 2020 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Wait a minute. The vinyl record is made with heat and pressure. Looking it up shows it to be, 345 F and 100 tons of pressure. So, I don't think the freezer will cure the warp. All it takes is a little search here. Pre heat your oven to 150 F, put your clean record between two clean panes of glass. Pop it in the oven for 10 minutes. Taker er out and set aside to cool with some weight atop the panes of glass. I might give it a go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=342&v=IwHZZe3aOh0&feature=emb_logo
Re: Bent records [message #91849 is a reply to message #91848] Fri, 08 May 2020 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, there have been many discussions on this (check out vinylengine.com forums). Heating can do it, possibly with a ceramic pizza disk. They will take the heat. Plus I would not start at the high temperature but gradualy increase it. Clean the Pizza souce off first Laughing

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Bent records [message #91851 is a reply to message #91839] Sun, 10 May 2020 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Rumor has it that if you do with with a pizza pan while baking a pizza in it, the record will come out with the singer singing in Italian. Laughing

When I have the time, I'll give this a try. Probably on a record I want to throw away anyway.
Re: Bent records [message #91857 is a reply to message #91851] Tue, 12 May 2020 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
Miami, you can put glass in the oven. The trick is to avoid massive temperature shifts at once. I use Pyrex in the oven all the time. I'm not sure how putting it in the freezer would help, though I've used the freezer trick successfully on other tech so who knows.

Rusty, you made me realize that I should just go for it. I paid very little for the whole container full of records and they aren't rare finds or anything like that. It's no big deal whether I mess them up or not really. I've had them for about four months. I want to save as many as possible of course, but your insight empowered me to experiment with it a bit. Thanks!

After going through the box again, I realized I have more bent records than I originally thought. I think I'm up to six now. I started with the ones I don't know much about or just don't care for. I've tried a few things so far. I thought heating it up with a hairdryer might be more gentle, but it was a poor idea and obviously did nothing to the vinyl. I realized that it wasn't going to work pretty quickly. I also tried heating it up in the oven on one pane of glass without another pane on top which wasn't much help. Placing the vinyl record between two panes cracked the record. I think my glass might have been too heavy though. So, I've lost Crosby Stills and Nash Daylight Again.

Up next is legendary blue's guitarist Johnny Winter and I'll try to fix it with gofar99's pizza stone advice. Thanks for sharing that website too, gofar99!

Thankfully, all the Eagles' records are in excellent shape. Losing one of those would have stung.
Re: Bent records [message #91858 is a reply to message #91857] Wed, 13 May 2020 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey Madison. I'm curious with your experiment using two panes of glass. From the video, using the two panes of glass seemed to work. I think they recommended heavier glass. What temperature did you use? Anyway, I'll be waiting for your experiments and how they go. Glad you decided to give it a try.
Re: Bent records [message #91863 is a reply to message #91858] Thu, 14 May 2020 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
What about using a clamp? Some warped records will play fine if you use a clamp, though I guess it could also cause damage if you aren't careful.
Re: Bent records [message #91872 is a reply to message #91863] Fri, 15 May 2020 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I think most record warps occur to the outer side of the record, so a record clamp only sits on the inner, spindle side. I use one, no problems from it. There are outer ring clamps for just that purpose. Expensive and may not clear parts of the tonearm assembly.
Previous Topic: Create your own
Next Topic: Oiling Turntable Bearings
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:45:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout