Home » Audio » General » Grunge
Grunge [message #91796] Thu, 30 April 2020 08:45 Go to next message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
Not exactly sure where this should be posted. It's more of a tweak than anything else.

A few years ago I added an additional power strip to the system by plunking it down in front of the equipment rack. So all sorts of wires were running to and fro and eventually many of the speaker and power wire ended up intermixed.

Having signal, speaker and power wires close to each other is a no-no so Monday's project was to untangle and separate all the wires ... and hide the power strip.

There was a sonic change even though nothing changed except for the position of the wires. A bit of edge was removed from the midrange. Transients are better and, for lack of a better word, there's now less grunge.

It also looks a whole lot better. So even if it sounds exactly the same and I'm imagining the whole thing it still looks better. Win/win.

Re: Grunge [message #91798 is a reply to message #91796] Thu, 30 April 2020 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

So true, especially those unbalanced signal wires are sensitive to the signals passing through cables near them.
Re: Grunge [message #91867 is a reply to message #91796] Fri, 15 May 2020 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nouri is currently offline  Nouri
Master
Electricity can be a fickle roomate. It likes to start fires from time to time as well, so it was a good choice to do what you did.
Re: Grunge [message #91995 is a reply to message #91796] Sat, 30 May 2020 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
Would a constant yet mild "feedback" describe that as well? Without the trial and error, I have found that I don't have any issues with the sound when the wires are organized and out of the way.
Re: Grunge [message #92187 is a reply to message #91796] Wed, 19 August 2020 11:04 Go to previous message
Vaiger is currently offline  Vaiger
Viscount
Agreed, Azuri. I read the OP's post and the neat freak in me just lost it.

The old rule I go by with electric wires is to look at them as kids with different personalities. Keep them separated to reduce the chances of sparks flying.
Previous Topic: Black Friday audio/video deals
Next Topic: Best Looking Female Lead
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:52:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout