Home » Audio » Pro Sound » What's the enhancement here?
What's the enhancement here? [message #91781] Wed, 29 April 2020 00:13 Go to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
I've been to a couple of Linkin Park concerts and both times there was a noticeable funnel or two attached to Rob's drums. I've always wondered what audio enhancement it provides. Does anyone know? I've attached a couple of pictures just to illustrate what I'm talking about.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2567&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2568&private=0
Re: What's the enhancement here? [message #91787 is a reply to message #91781] Wed, 29 April 2020 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

A duct will modify the cavity resonance of a drum, so that may be why he's using it. Even if it's not attached to the drum, the duct by itself will create a standing wave resonator. Both or either kinds of resonances can be used, and he may like the interesting sound it creates. Or he could be doin' it just to make us wonder about it. Razz
Re: What's the enhancement here? [message #91828 is a reply to message #91787] Tue, 05 May 2020 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
Thanks a bunch Wayne for letting me know what the deal was with that funnel. It's been driving me crazy since I first saw it! My buddy who was with me thought the funnel blew air up to Rob to cool him down. I knew that wasn't it.
Re: What's the enhancement here? [message #91829 is a reply to message #91828] Tue, 05 May 2020 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Well, but that actually may be what those ducts are for! It's hard to say from the pictures.

I just know that ducts can be used to change the resonance of a cavity. But in this day and age, most musicians use electronics to tailor their sound.
Re: What's the enhancement here? [message #92171 is a reply to message #91781] Sun, 16 August 2020 21:51 Go to previous message
Csharp is currently offline  Csharp
Viscount
Most do, but some still like the old school methods. Certain musicians and bands have an audience that appreciates that, and the musicians themselves like the unique sound it puts out.
Previous Topic: High Resolution Audio
Next Topic: Acoustic guitars for beginners
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:33:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout