Home » Audio » Source » Alternatives to Technics SL-1200
Re: Alternatives to Technics SL-1200 [message #12817 is a reply to message #12816] Fri, 24 February 2006 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Waynefi is currently offline  Waynefi
Esquire
manualblock, I have found a lot of supporters on several sites. That was a nice article on TNT. Also Vinylengine.com, Steve Hoffmans site, Audio Assylum, Audio Karma, and Audiogon, all have a ton of supporters. Of course Kabusa.com, has all kinds of mods for the SL1200.

Re: Alternatives to Technics SL-1200 [message #12818 is a reply to message #12815] Fri, 24 February 2006 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Waynefi is currently offline  Waynefi
Esquire
Wayne, check out my list of sites I posted to manualblock, and you will find more positive info.

Re: Alternatives to Technics SL-1200 [message #12819 is a reply to message #12817] Fri, 24 February 2006 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes; I'm getting creaky, must get out more. What do you see that is new on the mid-level price wise tables out there? I wandered into the Kabusa site and liked the idea of the silicon paddle mod and of course the outboard PS.
I read some of Steve Hoffman and I find him down to earth and very knolwledgable regarding tech stuff.
Audio Karma you need to wade through some silliness to get to the good stuff; I guess thats true everywhere though.
So what do you use for your personal listening pleasure?

Re: Alternatives to Technics SL-1200 [message #12820 is a reply to message #12806] Sat, 25 February 2006 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
Don't forget that besides a rigid and low friction mount, the arm must keep the cartridge aligned properly to the record. I've owned (now gathering dust) a few arms that simply don't allow for proper cartridge alignment at all.

Re: Alternatives to Technics SL-1200 [message #12821 is a reply to message #12820] Sat, 25 February 2006 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Absolutely. I have an older Sumiko that is useless in that respect.
Someday I would like to build my own arm. What do you think?

Re: Alternatives to Technics SL-1200 [message #12822 is a reply to message #12821] Sat, 25 February 2006 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
Building your own arm would be quite a challenge. I have an old Lustre GST-801 arm. I wish I could bend an arm tube to replace the original, wrong angle design. Funny how there are some beautifully made arms, with all the 'goodies' like dynamic balance, and great bearings, but poor geometry. Sounds like you have a great idea for a group build project.

Re: Alternatives to Technics SL-1200 [message #12823 is a reply to message #12822] Sun, 26 February 2006 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Couple people on the net; as I am sure you've seen, have tried it. All straight arm designs.
I guess things like transfer function of materials and such would play the biggest part. I once spoke to the guy who owned Hammer Dynamics and he said he built his out of a No.2 pencil; suspended by a rubber band from a simple scaffold. As the arm arced acrross the record the rubber band would twist and apply anti-skate; or counter-rotational force. It was stabilised in the horizontal plane by an eye-hook tied to a massive teflon sleeve floating in a bath of silicon.
Actually; may be too much work now that I think about it.
The bearing on the Technics arm seems pretty close tolerance.

Re: Alternatives to Technics SL-1200 [message #12826 is a reply to message #12800] Thu, 02 March 2006 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what tha fuck is currently offline  what tha fuck
Esquire
you shouldnt diss the 1200 it has no "special" dj functions .released in early70s made for listening to wax. what YOU DO WITH IT MAKES A DJ TOOL.

FINALLY BOUGHT ONE [message #12846 is a reply to message #12800] Mon, 20 March 2006 21:48 Go to previous message
Anonymous is currently offline  Anonymous
Baron
Well, glad to tell you all that I finally bought one! It is a Technics SL-1200M3D with a Shure M44-7 cartridge. I love it!

It's not new, I bought it used on E-Bay. It's in great condition. Sometime I will go for a another cartridge, although the Shure sounds great as well.

Previous Topic: Any recommendations on DVD-A/SACD players?
Next Topic: Technics SL-23....does it have a pre-amp?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 17:28:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio